Murali Gururajan, PhD
Research Scientist I
Murali Gururajan, PhD is a research scientist in the Uro-Oncology Research Program at Cedars-Sinai's Samuel Oschin Comprehensive Cancer Institute.
Dr. Gururajan’s research focuses on understanding the role of immune cells in the microenvironmental regulation of prostate cancer. Additional interests include studies on the role of microRNAs in cancer survival and growth.
Dr. Gururajan's studies have been published in several peer-reviewed publications including Blood, Journal of Immunology and International Immunology. He is a member of the American Association of Immunologists and a reviewer for several peer-reviewed medical journals.
Dr. Gururajan earned his bachelor's of veterinary science (equivalent to a doctor of veterinary medicine in the United States) and master’s in immunology in India. He earned his doctoral degree from the Graduate Center for Toxicology, University of Kentucky. He then completed a postdoctoral fellowship in immunology at the Emory University School of Medicine.
Selected peer-reviewed publications:
1. Gururajan, M., Chui, R., Karuppannan, A.K., Ke, J., Jennings, C.D., and Bondada, S. "c-Jun N- terminal kinase (JNK) is required for survival and proliferation of B-lymphoma cells". Blood 106, 1382-1391. (2005)
2. Gururajan, M., Jennings, C.D., and Bondada, S. "Cutting edge: constitutive B cell receptor signaling is critical for basal growth of B lymphoma. J Immunol 176, 5715-5719". (2006)
3. Gururajan, M., Jacob, J., and Pulendran, B. "Toll-like receptor expression and responsiveness of distinct murine splenic and mucosal B-cell subsets". PLoS ONE 2, e863. (2007)
4. Gururajan M, Haga, C.L., Das, S., Leu, C-M., Hodson D., Josson S., Turner M., Cooper MD. "MicroRNA 125b inhibition of B cell differentiation in the germinal centers". International Immunology. 22(7):583-592. (2010)
5. Josson S., Anderson CS., Sung S-Y., Kubo, H., Hsieh C-L., Arnold R., Gururajan M., Yates C., Chung LWK. "ADAM9 modulates radiation resistance and invasiveness of prostate cancer cells". Prostate. (2010).
Invited Reviews and Book Chapters:
1. Bondada, S., Chelvarajan R.L., Gururajan, M. B Lymphocytes: “Encyclopedia of Life Sciences”. John Wiley & Sons. (2005).
2. Gururajan, M and Bondada, S. “B cell receptor signaling and B lymphomagenesis”- Book chapter in "Cancer Genome and Tumor Microenvironment" by Springer Publishers. (2010).