Maha Guindi, MD
Director, Gastrointestinal and Liver Pathology
Director, Gastrointestinal/Liver Pathology Fellowship
Medical Director, Digital and Telepathology
Education and Training
- University of Cairo, MBBCH
- Residency in Anatomic Pathology, Ottawa Hospital - University of Ottawa, Canada
- Fellowship in Liver Pathology, Toronto Hospital, University of Toronto, Canada
- Fellowship in Gastrointestinal Pathology, McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology American Board of Pathology
- Board Certified, Anatomical Pathology, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (Canada)
Clinical and Research Interests
- Hepatobiliary neoplasia
- Liver fibrosis and autoimmune liver disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Esophageal carcinoma, pathology related to neoadjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy
Awards and Activities
- Former Director, Pathology Residency and GI-Liver Pathology Fellowship, University Health Network teaching hospital, Toronto, Canada.
- Ambassador of the United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Recipient of the Wighman-Berris Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, University of Toronto, and the University of Ottawa Award for Outstanding Contribution in Medical Education
- Member, Abstract Review Board , United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology
- Ko MA, Zehong G, Virtanen C, Guindi M, Waddell TK, Keshavjee S, Darling GE. MicroRNA Expression Profiling of Esophageal Cancer Before and After Induction Chemoradiotherapy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012 Aug 28. [Epub ahead of print]\
- Pattullo V, Thein HH, Heathcote EJ, Guindi M. Combining semiquantitative measures of fibrosis and qualitative features of parenchymal remodelling to identify fibrosis regression in hepatitis C: a multiple biopsy study. Histopathology. 2012;61:473-487.
- Dinani AM, Fischer SE, Mosko J, Guindi M, Hirschfield GM. Patients with autoimmune hepatitis who have antimitochondrial antibodies need long-term follow-up to detect late development of primary biliary cirrhosis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;10:682-4.
- McGilvray I, Feld JJ, Chen L, Pattullo V, Guindi M, Fischer S, Borozan I, Xie G, Selzner N, Heathcote EJ, Siminovitch K. Hepatic cell-type specific gene expression better predicts HCV treatment outcome than IL28B genotype. Gastroenterology. 2012;142:1122-1131.
- Khalili K, Kim TK, Jang HJ, Yazdi LK, Guindi M, Sherman M. Indeterminate 1-2-cm nodules found on hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance: biopsy for all, some, or none? Hepatology 2011;54:2048-54.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Maha Guindi, MD.