Serhan Alkan, MD
Vice Chair, Director of Clinical Pathology
Director, Academic Clinical Pathology
Professor of Pathology
Director, Hematopathology Fellowship
Director, Personalized Medicine Diagnostics
Education and Training
- Ege Medical University, Izmir, Turkey; MD
- Residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, George Washington University, Washington DC
- Fellowship in Hematopathology, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, MI
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Clinical Pathology
- Board Certified, Hematopathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Use of immunohistochemical and molecular markers in assessment of hematopoietic neoplasms
- Analysis of intracellular signaling molecules that regulate survival of neoplastic cells
Awards and Activities
- Described use of proteosome inhibitors as an effective therapy in treatment of multiple myeloma
- Demonstrated potential use of Histone deacetylase inhibitors in treatment of leukemias and multiple myeloma
- Peker D, Alkan S, Zhang L, Martinez A. HIV-associated plasmablastic multicentric Castleman disease with microlymphoma coinfected with HHV8 and EBV. J Hematopathol. 2013;6:109-114.
- Sojitra P, Gandhi P, Fitting P, Alkan S, Venkataraman G. Chronic Myelomonocytic Leukemia monocytes uniformly display a population of monocytes with CD11c under expression. Am J Clin Pathol. (In press).
- Alkan S, et al. Bruton Tyrosine Kinase Is Commonly Overexpressed in Mantle Cell Lymphoma and Its Attenuation by Ibrutinib Induces. Leukemia Research. (In press).
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Serhan Alkan, MD.