Xuemo Sean Fan, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Co-Director, Surgical Pathology Fellowship
Education and Training
- Nanjing Medical University, China; MD
- University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX; PhD
- Postdoctoral fellowship in molecular neuroendocrinology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
- Residency in Anatomic Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
- Fellowship in Neuropathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
- Fellowship in Surgical Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN
Medical Board Certification
- Board Certified, Anatomic Pathology
- Board Certified, Neuropathology
Clinical and Research Interests
- Endocrine pathology
Awards and Activities
- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching
- National Research Service Award: Neuroscience Postdoctoral Training Grant Fellowship
- Galveston Neuroscience Chapter Travel Award
- Walts AE, Bose S, Fan X, Frishberg D, Scharre K, Venturina M, Zhai J, Marchevsky AM. A simplified Bethesda System for reporting thyroid cytopathology using only four categories improves intra- and interobserver diagnostic agreement and provides non-overlapping estimates of malignancy risks. Diagn Cytopathol 2012;40 Suppl 1:E62-8. doi: 10.1002/dc.21697.
- Liu NA, Jiang H, Ben-Shlomo A, Wawrowsky K, Fan X, Lin S, Melmed S. Targeting zebrafish and murine pituitary corticotroph tumors with a cyclin-dependent kinase (CDK) inhibitor PNAS 2011;108:8414-8419.
- Westfall De, Fan X, Marchevsky A. Evidence-based guidelines to optimize the selection of antibody panels in cytopathology: pleural effusions with malignant epithelioid cells. Diagn Cytopathol 2010;38(1):9-14.
- Lehman D, Tseng D, Eells S, Miller LG, Fan X, Beenhouwer D, Liu GY. S. Aureus panton-valentine leukocidin targets muscle tissues in a child with myositis and necrotizing fasciitis. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50(1):69-72.
- Fan L, Mac TM, Frishberg DP, Fan X, Dhall D, Balzer BL, Geller SA, Wang HL. Interobserver and intraobserver variability in evaluating vascular invasion in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010;25:1556–1561.
Click here for a list of peer-reviewed publications by Xuemo Fan, MD, PhD.