Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
The Advanced Heart Failure and Heart Transplantation Fellowship, an ACGME-accredited, one-year clinical fellowship, gives fellows specialized education in the pathophysiology and treatment of heart failure, cardiac transplantation and mechanical circulatory support.
During each of the past four years, the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute and Comprehensive Transplant Center performed more adult heart transplants than any other U.S. medical center, according to the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS). In 2013, the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute set a new standard for U.S. heart transplantation by completing 119 adult heart transplants, including two adult heart-lung transplants, and 23 Total Artificial Heart implants.
Heart Institute team members serve as faculty for the Advanced Heart Failure and Transplantation Fellowship. Expert faculty members provide clinical training and lectures on a range of relevant topics in medical and surgical approaches to advanced cardiac disease, including heart failure diagnosis and management, heart transplantation and mechanical circulatory support.
In accordance with UNOS guidelines for the training of a heart transplant physician, Advanced Heart Failure and Transplantation fellows receive training in:
- Management of heart failure patients within the entire clinical spectrum of drug refractory heart failure, from ambulatory to severe
- Candidate selection for heart transplantation and mechanical circulatory support
- Donor evaluation and management
- Physiology of the transplanted heart, immunosuppression, immediate postoperative and long-term care, including management of post-transplant complications
- Pulmonary artery catheterization and endomyocardial biopsies
Additionally, Cedars-Sinai fosters and trains residents, fellows and junior faculty who wish to conduct clinical and translational research upon graduating from the program. The Clinical Scholars Program provides funding, career guidance, education and skill acquisition for aspiring clinical scientists.