Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Fellows begin work at 8:00 am and leave at about 5:00 pm.
Go over 10 to 15 studies to review with the attending and sort out the STAT and in-patient studies that the attending has to read when they arrive. Monday's are the most important since the fellow will go through the list of MRI's from the weekend and separate out the patients that need to be dictated soon (i.e. have an appointment on Monday) so that the attending can take care of it first thing.
The rest of the morning is spent going over the studies reviewed by the fellow and dictating them. 2 to 3 times a week we have a CT guided bone biopsy or Ultrasound guided procedure in the morning.
Lunch is 12-1pm, notwithstanding a last minute procedure or lecture given by an MSK attending.
Approximately 2-3 fluoroscopic-guided procedures are performed per day starting at 1pm. The procedures are usually by the fellow unless another stat procedure comes across that needs to be done.
Other procedures performed by the fellow includes radiofrequency ablation of osteoid osteomas, bone biopsies (1 to 2 a week), muscle biopsies (1 every 2 weeks). Joint aspirations (includes Hip, shoulder, knee, ankle, elbow, wrist, interphalangeal joints), arthrograms of the same joints as well as therapeutic injections of all the joints as well as the Sacroiliac joints (average of 3 a day). The fellow will also participate in plasma-rich protein (PRP) injections.
Wednesday mornings (8-12) are dedicated to research. The current fellow completed an internal review of the arthrograms performed for a 6-month period and its correlation to the arthroscopy.
Conferences include, but are not limited to:
- Imaging Case Conference: Rheumatology conference takes place monthly with a presentation on a topic by the MSK attending followed by interesting cases.
- Imaging Case Conference: Orthopedic conference occurs monthly - one of the MSK radiologists presents and goes over interesting cases.
- Sarcoma/Pathology Tumor Board - Cases are discussed by the Oncology surgeon, MSK radiologist, Oncologist and the Pathologist. Treatment options, radiology findings, and slides are reviewed.
- Resident-teaching conference - The fellow gives conference to the residents every couple of months, and 1 annual board review.
- Interdepartmental Conferences, including:
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Other surgical specialties
- Core lectures
There is one resident on the MSK service about 4-6 months out of the year. The fellow helps the resident with the procedures. The attending goes over the imaging studies with the resident.