Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Clinical Scholars Program
This innovative program will provide funding, career guidance, education and skill acquisition for aspiring clinical scientists working at the Medical Center.
Essential Elements of the Program
- The program is directed towards residents (in the later years of their training), fellows, and young faculty with aspirations to become clinical scientists.
- All training programs and clinical departments are eligible to nominate candidates for competitive admission.
- Program duration of 2 years: Year 1: part-time curriculum in translational medicine and clinical research; Year 2: full-time research under the supervision of an experienced mentor. In special cases, admission for a one year program, which combines full time research with participation in the curriculum, may be considered.
- Potential funding for up to one year of full-time research for those judged to be most competitive for future funding.
- Required plan for a K award or other grant from NIH to be tabled during the first year with application for funding to be awarded during research year.
- The principal criterion for a successful outcome is the production of a successful clinical scientist who will have an impact on a field of clinical science upon graduating from the program.
- The essential requirement for defining a successful outcome will be a successful application for peer-reviewed research support, particularly a K-series grant from NIH.
- Competitiveness in the job market would also be a goal of the program. This would be assessed by the following:
- Research publications
- Grant support
- Likelihood of future grant support based upon current work
- Presentation and communication skills
- Breadth of scientific understanding
- Entrepreneurial approach
- Specific personal qualities and skills will be developed while in the program:
- Dedication to solving a scientific problem
- Ability to formulate a hypothesis or relevant research question
- Ability to present information to others
- Ability to review basic and clinical research critically
- Appreciation of the relevance of a broad range of scientific disciplines
Ongoing Career Development at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Clinical scholars who excel will be viewed as potential faculty recruits. Appropriate discussions will be initiated with such individuals to ascertain whether their career goals can be served by a faculty appointment at Cedars-Sinai, including considerations of start-up support for an independent research career.