Leaving home for an unfamiliar country is bound to lead to many questions. Below we've provided you with answers to some of the most frequently asked questions.
- Will there be someone at the hospital who speaks my language?
- How does Cedars-Sinai consult with my doctor at home? How will you get my medical records and keep my doctor informed about my progress?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- Will I be able to communicate with friends and family in my own country?
- What will happen after I leave the hospital?
- What about the people traveling with me? Where will they stay while I'm in the hospital?
- What is there for my family to do in Los Angeles?
We have interpreters for 45 different languages. There will always be someone who speaks your language. The interpreter will explain things to you and help you communicate with your doctor here and back home.
How does Cedars-Sinai consult with my doctor at home? How will you get my medical records and keep my doctor informed about my progress?
The Center for International Health and Telemedicine will coordinate communication between your personal doctor at home and your doctors at Cedars-Sinai. We'll send for copies of your medical records before you arrive in the United States. The doctors who work with you here will be well informed about your condition. We'll also send progress reports and other information to your doctor at home by fax, e-mail or telephone.
The length of time that you will be in the hospital will vary depending on the type of procedure you're having. Check with your doctor for specific information.
We'll help you with long-distance phone calls any time you wish. We can even make fax and e-mail available to you.
You will spend some time recovering. You'll also need follow-up care before you return to your own country. We will schedule your follow-up appointments. And we'll help you get medicines and any special equipment you may need. When your doctor decides you're ready to go home, we'll help with travel arrangements.
Our staff can help arrange places for them to stay. There are many lodging choices, including hotels and rental housing.
Los Angeles is one of the most exciting cities in the world. There are hundreds of cultural and recreational activities to enjoy. We can direct you to amusement parks like Disneyland, museums like the world-famous Getty Art Museum, theaters, movie studio tours and, of course, our sunny beaches.