Scheduled Teaching Rounds
Daily clinical teaching rounds are done with the neurosurgical faculty on each service. In addition, there is a didactic conference once a month. This conference includes didactic lectures by neuroscientists, pathologist, anatomists, neurologists and neurosurgeons. Lectures on professionalism and system-based learning will also be covered in this format. These will include lectures by social workers, discharge planners and surgery coding professionals.
Brain cutting and hands-on neuroanatomy curriculum will be incorporated into the schedule. Two full-time neuropathologists on staff will be participating in brain cutting.
A variety of conferences are scheduled regularly. These conferences allow neurosurgical residents exposure to cases and subspecialties related to neurosurgery.
- Combined Epilepsy Conference: a monthly conference at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center where all patients with intractable epilepsy are considered for surgical treatment are presented by the epileptologists. Video EEG telemetry, PET studies, MEG and MRI studies are all reviewed. Attended by neurologists, neurosurgeons and neuroradiologists.
- General Surgery Conference: Held weekly for PGY 1 residents
- Neurology and Neuroradiology Conference: Held bi-weekly for faculty and residents
- Neuropathology Conference: Held monthly for faculty and residents
- Pediatric Neurosurgery / Neurology Case Conference: selected pediatric neurosurgical and neurology patients are presented to a panel of neuroradiologists, pediatric neurologists, pediatricians and neurosurgeons. Radiographic studies and pathological slides (when available) are reviewed.
- Research Conferences: Held weekly for faculty and residents
- Skull Base / Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Conference: a monthly conference at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center staffed by ENT and skull base surgeons from both the House Eye and Ear institute and the Cedars-Sinai neurosurgical faculty
- Spine Conference: a weekly multidisciplinary conference at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center attended by neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, phosiatrists fellows and house staff. Selected cases are presented with review of preoperative history, radiographic studies and clinical outcomes.
- Tumor Board: a weekly, multidisciplinary conference attended by neurosurgeons, neuro-oncologists, oncologists, pediatric oncologists, neuropathologists, radiation oncologists, residents, medical students and nursing staff. All operative patients with central nervous system tumors are presented; their imaging and pathology slides are reviewed and a joint decision is made on the plan of care.
- Vascular / Interventional / Stroke Conference: a monthly multidisciplinary conference at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center attended by neurosurgeons, neurologists, neuroradiologists, cardiologists, intensivist, stroke neurologists, fellows, house staff and medical students.
A monthly Journal Club in which residents present and discuss current journal articles with faculty members is held monthly.
In addition, there is a bi-monthly Morbidity and Mortality Conference.