Optimal cancer care is a team approach that includes not only the interventional radiologist, but the oncologist and the primary care physician. We recommend tumor ablation for patients with the following clinical presentations:
- Stage I primary lung cancer, if the patient is ineligible for surgery usually because of emphysema or severe heart disease.
- Limited metastatic disease to the lungs usually involving four or fewer lesions, each less than 4 cm. Tumor ablation may also be used in combination with radiation therapy.
- Primary liver cancer (less than 4 cm) or limited metastatic disease with four or fewer liver lesions in patients who are not surgical candidates.
- Patients with cirrhosis and hepatocellular cancer with less than four lesions, each less than 4 cm.
- Patients with limited metastatic liver disease with no cirrhosis.
- Kidney cancers 4 cm or smaller on the peripheral margins of the kidney in patients who are not surgical candidates.
- Patients with multifocal renal cell cancer.
- Patients with one remaining kidney in which tumor is present.
- Treatment of painful bone metastasis in patients unresponsive to either chemotherapy or radiation therapy. In this situation, tumor ablation is not a cure but can potentially reduce pain (often within 24 hours) and the need for narcotic therapy. (Includes metastatic disease to the ribs.)
- Primary therapy for osteoid osteoma.
- Metastatic lesions in the spine
Cancers which are NOT treatable with tumor ablation
- Breast cancer — surgery remains the standard of care
- Small cell lung cancer
- Liver tumors of the central bile duct, Klatskin tumors
- Primary tumors of the pancreas
For more information or to schedule a consultation, please call 310-423-8694.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.