Also known as "Neurolite brain SPECT" or "brain SPECT with and without Diamox."
This study determines the blood perfusion of the brain. Diamox is used to increase blood flow to the brain and is used in conjunction with Neurolite in some cases.
Indications (incomplete list)
- Head trauma
- Chemical exposure
- Lyme disease
- Drug toxicity
Patients who suffer from migraine headaches and/or are allergic to sulfa drugs should not have Diamox. Adenosine is used as a substitute.
No stimulants 12 hours prior to exam. This includes caffeine and some medication.
- This is a two-part study that requires two seperate visits
- The two studies should be at least two days apart but not more than a couple months apart
- Schedule after 1 p.m. only, due to dose availability
- Procedure time is approximately 1.5 hours for the baseline study
- Procedure time is approximately 2.5 hours for the Diamox
Patient Information Sheet for Brain SPECT.