Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Nuclear Medicine Preparation
Written order needed.
Biliary Scan (exam time: 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours with the possibility of delayed imaging from 3 hours and up to 24 hours after the start of the exam)
- Do not eat or drink anything four hours before the exam.
Renal Scan (exam time: 90 min; visit time about 2 hours)
- Drink two eight-ounce glasses of fluids one to two hours before your exam.
Renal Scan with Captopril (exam time: 2.5 hours; visit time about 3 hours)
- Ask your doctor about going off ACE inhibitors and angiotensin II receptor antagonist 48 hours before your exam.
Gastric Emptying (exam time: three hours; visit time about 4 1/2 hours)
- Do not eat or drink 12 hours before your exam.
Positron Emission Tomography (PET) (approx. visit time: 3½ hours)
You can print and fill out the or the , depending on your study, to speed the registration process.
48 hours before exam:
- Do not do any strenuous exercise
12 hours before exam:
- Stay on a no carbohydrate, no sugar diet (see below)
- Do not have gum or mints, and do not consume caffeine including decaf products. Note: Decaffeinated products contain caffeine.
6 hours before:
- Do not eat anything.
- Drink water as needed.
- Take medications as prescribed.
- If you are diabetic, ask your doctor about diet and medication
Positron Emission Tomography with FDG (FDG PET) (exam time: three hours; total of three visits over two days)
Note: There are two types of PET exams, FDG PET and Rubidium PET (also known as Myocardial Perfusion PET.) Rubidium PET requires a different preparation than the one listed below. If you are not sure which PET exam you are having, please call our scheduling department at 310.423.8000 (option 1. )
FDG PET scans require careful preparation, so please follow instructions carefully.
(Diabetics should discuss the preparations with their doctor.)
- 24 hours before your appointment:
- Do not do any strenuous exercise.
- Refrain from consuming any caffeine, including any decaffeinated products.
- 12 hours before your appointment:
- Stay on a no-carbohydrate diet. (See below for a guide on what to eat.)
- Do NOT engage in any strenuous exercise.
- Do NOT chew gum.
- Avoid mints.
- 6 hours before your appointment:
- Do NOT eat anything.
- Drink water as needed.
- Take any prescribed medications as usual.
- If you are diabetic, please consult your doctor for questions regarding diet and medication.
- No-Carbohydrate, No-sugar Diet Guide:
- All meats
- Hard cheeses
- Unsweetened peanut butter
- Oil, margarine, butter
- Diet soda (be careful to avoid caffeinated and decaffeinated sodas.)
- Non-starchy vegetables (such as: broccoli, spinach, green beans.)
Foods not allowed:
- Dry beans
- Fruit and fruit juices
- Jams and jellies
- Sugar and candy
- Starchy vegetables (such as: peas, corn, potatoes)
- Milk (including non-dairy milk)
- Coffee or Tea
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake, and West Hollywood.