Treatments and Programs
Neurologists are physicians who specialize in diagnosing and medically treating disorders of the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord and nerves. The nervous system can be divided into two parts:
- The central nervous system, which is made up of the brain and the spinal cord
- The peripheral nervous system, which is the network of nerves that connects the brain and spinal cord to the rest of the body
The brain is vital to life. Despite its small size, the brain uses 20 percent of the blood pumped by the heart and 20 percent of the oxygen required by the body at rest.
Blood, carrying oxygen and essential nutrients, is brought to the brain from the heart via key arteries that extend up through our necks. These large arteries then split into smaller ones to distribute blood to the various regions of the brain. The brain can survive only a few minutes without oxygen. Even a few seconds of disturbed blood flow, such as when a stroke occurs, can cause significant damage.
There are many kinds of neurological disorders and conditions that can affect the body in varying ways. The Department of Neurology at Cedars-Sinai provides comprehensive diagnosis and treatment services for a full range of neurological diseases and disorders. The department also offers many specialized centers, clinics and laboratories that are dedicated to specific neurologic conditions.
Specialized Care at Cedars-Sinai
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Program
- Charcot-Marie-Tooth/Hereditary Neuropathy Center
- Epilepsy Program
- Movement Disorders Program (Parkinson's disease and other disorders)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neuromuscular Diseases
- Neurophysiology Laboratory
- Stroke Program
Additional Cedars-Sinai Resources
- Department of Neurosurgery
- Department of Rehabilitation
- The Pain Center
- S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center
- ALS Association
- American Cancer Society
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Heart Association
- American Parkinson Disease Association
- American Stroke Association
- Angel Flight America (free air transport for those in need)
- Corporate Angel Network (free air transport for cancer patients)
- Epilepsy Foundation of Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino and Ventura Counties
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke / "What Is Diabetic Neuropathy?"