Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Clinical services provided to patients at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center are essential components of the Department of Pharmacy Services role at the Medical Center. These services include:
- Evaluation of all medication orders to ensure the best medication management. Orders are reviewed to ensure the absence of allergies, duplication and drug interactions, appropriateness of medication selection, dosage, route and duration of therapy. Additionally, pharmacists review new therapy in light of black box warnings and REMS requirements and compliance with institutional guidelines in order to support the provision of high value care.
- Daily review of patient profiles including the medication list, lab values, cultures and notes to ensure to ensure the appropriateness of ongoing therapy
- Conducting prior to admission medication reconciliation for high risk patients, evaluating medications on level of care transfers, and assisting with discharge education as needed
- Therapeutic drug monitoring for medications with a narrow therapeutic index. A number of drug therapies are dosed and monitored by the pharmacists according to P&T approved protocols including: aminoglycosides, vancomycin, other antimicrobial agents that need dose adjustment based on renal function, and anticoagulation therapies.
- Actively engaged in our antimicrobial stewardship programs that promote judicious use of antimicrobials through optimization of medication selection, dose, duration, and route of administration.
- Provide medication education to patients admitted with acute decompensated heart failure and to patients on warfarin therapy.
- Rounds with the multidisciplinary care team
- Participation on the Code Blue Team for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Drug information
- Education of nurses, doctors and patients
- Participation in medical and pharmacy teaching programs
- Development and implementation of practice guidelines using an evidence-based approach
Hours of Operation for Inpatient Services
The administrative offices of the inpatient clinical services are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Pharmacy satellites on the Medical Center's sixth and seventh floors are open from 7 a.m. to midnight daily. The fourth floor, Critical care and Central pharmacy areas are open 24 hours a day