Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Role of the SCROC
The role of the SCROC is to:
- Establish procedures for reviewing protocols for stem cell research projects at Cedars-Sinai as required by the regulations of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM), the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations
- Review and where appropriate approve stem cell research projects; and
- In conjunction with Cedars-Sinai's Office of Research Compliance and Quality Improvement (ORCQI) establish procedures to facilitate the education of stem cell research investigators with the CIRM Regulations and the CDPH Guidelines. With the assistance of the OCRQI, carry out such procedures with regard to all stem cell research investigators whose protocols are subject to the review of the SCROC.
Goals of the SCROC
The goals of the SCROC's activities are to enable Cedars-Sinai to conduct stem cell research in conformity with the highest ethical standards, the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) Regulations, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Guidelines, other federal, state and local laws and regulations, and relevant Cedars-Sinai policies to protect the safety, and privacy of donors and patients. In reliance on and with the assistance of the Office of Research Compliance and Quality Improvement (OCRQI), the SCROC will endeavor to maintain an overall awareness of the types of stem cell research conducted at CSMC and the materials available for use in stem cell research to reduce unnecessary duplicative research in order to maximize the protection of donors and the sharing of resources.
IRB for Stem Cell Research
The role of the IRB is, in reliance on and with the assistance of the OCRQI and to the extent required by all applicable regulations:
- To protect human subjects of stem cell research at Cedars-Sinai in accordance with all Applicable Regulations and Standards and relevant written Cedars-Sinai institutional policies through application of the procedures set forth in paragraphs (b) and (c) below;
- To conduct reviews of, and where appropriate approve, each stem cell research protocol at Cedars-Sinai prior to its initiation, with the goal of ensuring that such protocol conforms to and abides by all Applicable Regulations and Standards and relevant written Cedars-Sinai institutional policies;
- After approval of any such protocol, monitor and periodically conduct reviews of such research with the goal of ensuring that such research conforms to and abides by Applicable Regulations and Standards and relevant written Cedars-Sinai institutional policies