Adam Mamelak, MD
Director, Functional Neurosurgery Program, Neurosurgery
Co-Director, Pituitary Center
Awards and Activities
|ABTF AANS/CNS Award for Translational Research||1999|
|AANS Young Clinician Investigator Award||1997 - 1998|
|Magna Cum Laude, Harvard Medical School||1990|
|Benjamin G. Brown Scholarship for Scientific Excel||1990|
|Summa Cum Laude||1985|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer, Cancer Therapy, UK||Current|
|Ad Hoc Reviewer, Epilepsia||Current|
|American Epilepsy Society||1992|
|American Association of Neurological Surgeons||1992|
|Society of Neuro-Oncology||1998|
|American College of Surgeons||2001|
|International Soceity of Pituitary Surgeons||2007|
Pituitary tumor and endoscopic skull base surgiery technical development. Developing and testing new equipment and methods for minimally invasive surgery of pituitary and skull base tumors, and studying the pathogenesis of these tumors.
Neural basis of learing and memory- Studying the neurphysiological basis of memory processes in patients with implanted electrodes for identification of seizures.
Performed first clinical trial of a synthetic scorpion venom used to treat malignant brain tumors. Identified neurons in the human brain that detect novelty or familiarity in single-trial learning.
Current investigations include:
Use of time resolved laser flourescence to detect brain tumors. Clinical trials of synthetic scorpion toxin for malignant brain tumors. Development of an exoscope system for human neurosurgery. Advancement of endoscopic skull base techniques. Establishment of a canine model for pituitary surgery to treat Cushing's Disease.
- Mamelak AN, Rosenfeld S, Bucholz R, Raubitschek A, Nabors LB, Fiveash JB, Shen S, Khazaeli MB, Colcher D, Liu A, Osman M, Guthrie B, Schade-Bijur S, Hablitz DM, Alvarez VL, Gonda MA: Phase I single-dose study of intracavitary-administered iodine-131-TM-601 in adults with recurrent high-grade glioma. J. Clin. Oncol., 24(22): 3644-50, 2006
- Rutishauser U, Schuman EM, Mamelak AN: Activity of human hippocampal and amygdala neurons during retrieval of declarative memories. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 105(1): 329-34, 2007
- Rutishauser U, Mamelak AN, Schuman EM: Single-trial learning of novel stimuli by individual neurons of the human hippocampus-amygdala complex. Neuron, 49(6): 805-13, 2006
- Mamelak AN, Lopez N, Akhtari M, Sutherling WW: Magnetoencephalography-directed surgery in patients with neocortical epilepsy. J. Neurosurg., 97(4): 865-73, 2002
- Mamelak AN, Dowd CF, Tyrrell JB, McDonald JF, Wilson CB: Venous angiography is needed to interpret inferior petrosal sinus and cavernous sinus sampling data for lateralizing adrenocorticotropin-secreting adenomas. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab., 81(2): 475-81, 1996
- Quattrochi JJ, Mamelak AN, Madison RD, Macklis JD, Hobson JA: Mapping neuronal inputs to REM sleep induction sites with carbachol-fluorescent microspheres. Science, 245(4921): 984-6, 1989