Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Arkadiusz Gertych, PhD
Research Scientist, Surgical Research
|Assistant Professor, Surgery|
Awards and Activities
|Associate Editor: Computers in Medicine and Biology||Current|
2D/3D image-cytometry for high-content analysis and screening. Bioimage informatics. Automated derivation of quantitative features from medical and biomedical images. Numerical characterization and recognition of cellular phenotypes for computer-aided diagnosis in digital pathology.
Imaging-based assessment of anticancer drugs inhibiting DNA methylation by measuring spatial density of 5-methylcytosine residues and chromatin conformation in single cells. Novel image analysis methods for co-detection and co-evaluation of biomarker perturbations in cells with applications in cancer risk stratification and measuring drug response.
Current investigations include:
Design and development of machine learning tools for automated grading of tissues and classification of cells in human histopathological specimens. Connecting multiple omics techniques with imaging features by immunoassays to better understand, characterize, and classify molecular events associated with cancer onset, progression and treatment effects.
- Oh JH, Gertych A, Tajbakhsh J: Nuclear DNA methylation and chromatin condensation phenotypes are distinct between normally proliferating/aging, rapidly growing/immortal, and senescent cells. Oncotarget, 4(3): 474-93, 2013
- Gertych A, Oh JH, Wawrowsky KA, Weisenberger DJ, Tajbakhsh J: 3-D DNA methylation phenotypes correlate with cytotoxicity levels in prostate and liver cancer cell models. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol, 14: 11, 2013
- Gertych A, Joseph AO, Walts AE, Bose S: Automated detection of dual p16/Ki67 nuclear immunoreactivity in liquid-based Pap tests for improved cervical cancer risk stratification. Ann Biomed Eng, 40(5): 1192-204, 2012
- Tajbakhsh J, Gertych A, Fagg WS, Hatada S, Fair JH: Early in vitro differentiation of mouse definitive endoderm is not correlated with progressive maturation of nuclear DNA methylation patterns. PLoS ONE, 6(7): e21861, 2011
- Gertych A, Farkas DL, Tajbakhsh J: Measuring topology of low-intensity DNA methylation sites for high-throughput assessment of epigenetic drug-induced effects in cancer cells. Exp. Cell Res., 316(19): 3150-60, 2010
- Gertych A, Wawrowsky KA, Lindsley E, Vishnevsky E, Farkas DL, Tajbakhsh J: Automated quantification of DNA demethylation effects in cells via 3D mapping of nuclear signatures and population homogeneity assessment. Cytometry A, 75(7): 569-83, 2009