Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Bruce Gewertz, MD
Vice President, Interventional Services
Vice Dean for Academic Affairs
Surgeon in Chief, Surgery
Awards and Activities
|H&S Nichols Chair in Surgery||2007|
Basic Science Interests: Ischemia--reperfusion injury and intracellular messaging by reactive oxygen species.
Clinical Science Interests: Cerebrovascular disease (especially intraoperative neurophysiologic monitoring and outcome analysis), aortic aneurysmal disease, and mesenteric ischemic syndromes.
Characterized mediators of endothelial cell permeability associated with ischemia reperfusion injury including both cytokine and reactive oxygen species mechanisms.
Developed ex vivo model of intestinal perfusion in human intestines.
Characterized auto-regulation of blood flow and other circulatory regulatory mechanisms in awake versus anesthetized experimental models (renal and mesenteric circulations).
Analyzed EEG changes associated with intra-operative cerebral ischemia during carotid endarectomy.
Current investigations include:
The cellular mechanisms leading to changes in microvascular permeability and studies of intracellular signaling by free radicals and cytokines.
- Marcus BC, Hynes KL, Gewertz BL: Loss of endothelial barrier function requires neutrophil adhesion. Surgery, 122(2): 420-6; discussion 426-7, 1997
- Wyble CW, Hynes KL, Kuchibhotla J, Marcus BC, Hallahan D, Gewertz BL: TNF-alpha and IL-1 upregulate membrane-bound and soluble E-selectin through a common pathway. J. Surg. Res., 73(2): 107-12, 1997
- Ali MH, Schlidt SA, Hynes KL, Marcus BC, Gewertz BL: Prolonged hypoxia alters endothelial barrier function. Surgery, 124(3): 491-7, 1998
- Ali MH, Schlidt SA, Chandel NS, Hynes KL, Schumacker PT, Gewertz BL: Endothelial permeability and IL-6 production during hypoxia: role of ROS in signal transduction. Am. J. Physiol., 277(5 Pt 1): L1057-65, 1999
- Pearlstein DP, Ali MH, Mungai PT, Hynes KL, Gewertz BL, Schumacker PT: Role of mitochondrial oxidant generation in endothelial cell responses to hypoxia. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol., 22(4): 566-73, 2002
- Seal JB, Gewertz BL: Vascular dysfunction in ischemia-reperfusion injury. Annals of vascular surgery, 19(4): 572-84, 2005