Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Cathryn Kolka, PhD
Research Scientist, Diabetes & Obesity Rsrch Inst
|Assistant Professor, Biomedical Sciences|
Awards and Activities
|Faculty of 1000 Recommendation||2012|
|Pat Simons Award (recognizing research excellence by young investigators): Obesity Society||2009|
|Reviewer: American Journal of Physiology and Diabetologia||Current|
|American Heart Association||2012|
Access of insulin and other nutrients to insulin sensitive tissues. Investigate hemodynamic changes that affect metabolism. Measure access of insulin to muscle, a major component of insulin sensitivity, andhow this is altered by diabetes and insulin resistance. Measure interstitial concentration of insulin to predict insulin action, test molecules that increase access to improve insulin sensitivity in animals models.
Demonstrated close relationship between interstitial insulin and glucose uptake, and showed impaired distribution of insulin through the interstitium in insulin resistant states.
Current investigations include:
Insulin access to skeletal muscle in diet-induced insulin resistance. Use of drugs to improve insulin access and restore insulin sensitivity. Measurement of muscle perfusion.
- Kolka CM, Bergman RN: The barrier within: endothelial transport of hormones. Physiology (Bethesda), 27(4): 237-47, 2012
- Kolka CM, Harrison LN, Lottati M, Chiu JD, Kirkman EL, Bergman RN: Diet-induced obesity prevents interstitial dispersion of insulin in skeletal muscle. Diabetes, 59(3): 619-26, 2009
- Chiu JD, Kolka CM, Richey JM, Harrison LN, Zuniga E, Kirkman EL, Bergman RN: Experimental hyperlipidemia dramatically reduces access of insulin to canine skeletal muscle. Obesity (Silver Spring), 17(8): 1486-92, 2009
- Kolka CM, Rattigan S, Richards SM, Clark MG: Potential for endothelin-1-mediated impairment of contractile activity in hypertension. Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol., 34(3): 217-22, 2007
- Kolka CM, Rattigan S, Richards SM, Barrett EJ, Clark MG: Endothelial Na+-D-glucose cotransporter: no role in insulin-mediated glucose uptake. Horm. Metab. Res., 37(11): 657-61, 2005
- Kolka CM, Rattigan S, Richards S, Clark MG: Metabolic and vascular actions of endothelin-1 are inhibited by insulin-mediated vasodilation in perfused rat hindlimb muscle. Br. J. Pharmacol., 145(7): 992-1000, 2005