Edward Phillips, MD
Chief, General Surgery
Executive Vice Chair, Surgery
Awards and Activities
|President, Southern California Chapter of American College of Surgeons||2012|
Patient safety, laparoscopic surgery and robotic and surgical technology, endoluminal surgery, diseases of the biliary tract, breast, adrenal gland,and esophagus. Surgical treatment of obesity and diabetes, breast cancer risk reduction, and obesity prevention.
Developed the laparoscopic technique of common bile duct exploration, laparoscopic splenectomy, and nipple ductoscopy. Developed, patented and licensed the first combined suction, irrigation and energy delivery device in lapraoscopic surgery.
Current investigations include:
Safety and Effectiveness of the Swedish Adjustable Gastric Band (SAGB) in the treatment of morbid obesity. Safety and quality of life in subjects implanted with SAGB. Biomarkers for the early detection of Breast Cancer. Endoluminal gastroplasty (Toga device) in treatment of obesity. Utility of FDG-PET and PET/CT in evaluation of patients w/ suspected Cholecystitis, Surgical Error reduction in CI.
- Phillips EH, Toouli J, Pitt HA, Soper NJ: Treatment of common bile duct stones discovered during cholecystectomy. J. Gastrointest. Surg., 12(4): 624-8, 2008
- Sanmiguel CP, Haddad W, Aviv R, Cunneen SA, Phillips EH, Kapella W, Soffer EE: The TANTALUS system for obesity: effect on gastric emptying of solids and ghrelin plasma levels. Obesity surgery, 17(11): 1503-9, 2007
- Hagiike M, Phillips EH, Berci G: Performance differences in laparoscopic surgical skills between true high-definition and three-chip CCD video systems. Surgical endoscopy, 21(10): 1849-54, 2007
- Chung A, Liou D, Karlan S, Waxman A, Fujimoto K, Hagiike M, Phillips EH: Preoperative FDG-PET for axillary metastases in patients with breast cancer. Archives of surgery (Chicago, Ill. : 1960), 141(8): 783-8; discussion 788-9, 2006
- Lyass S, Phillips EH: Laparoscopic transcystic duct common bile duct exploration. Surgical endoscopy, 20 Suppl 2: S441-5, 2006
- Lyass S, Cunneen SA, Hagiike M, Misra M, Burch M, Khalili TM, Furman G, Phillips EH: Device-related reoperations after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. The American surgeon, 71(9): 738-43, 2005