Director, Surgical Intensive Care Unit, General Surgery
|Associate Professor, Surgery|
Awards and Activities
|Circle of Friends, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center||2011|
|Journal of Trauma Management and Outcomes||Current|
|American College of Surgeons||2000|
|Association of Academic Surgeons||2012|
|American Association for the Surgery of Trauma ||2013|
Novel treatments for traumatic brain injury, including beta-adrenergic receptor inhibitors, anti-inflammatory strategies, and antioxidants. Traumatic brain injury's connection to other diseases such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and Alzheimer's.
Characterization and inhibition of interaction between EphB4 receptor tyrosine kinase and the EphrinB2 ligand, demonstrating angiogenic potential. Novel imaging of cerebral glucose metabolism after traumatic brain injury. Leader in treatment of traumatic brain injury using beta-adrenergic inhibitors.
Current investigations include:
Immunological cascade after trauma. Beta adrenergic receptors and traumatic brain injury. Resuscitation after trauma. Human factors to improve health care safety and efficiency.
- Liou DZ, Barmparas G, Ley EJ, Salim A, Tareen A, Casas T, Lee D, Bukur M: To swab or not to swab? A prospective analysis of 341 SICU VRE screens. J Trauma Acute Care Surg, 76(5): 1192-200, 2014
- Berry C, Ley EJ, Margulies DR, Pruett J, Miller C, Bukur M, Palestrant D, Malinoski D, Salim A: Prospective evaluation of posttraumatic vasospasm: determining its clinical significance after traumatic brain injury. Am Surg, 80(3): 310-2, 2014
- Singer MB, Ley EJ: Re: Insurance- and race-based disparities decrease in elderly trauma patients. J Trauma Acute Care Surg, 75(2): 347, 2013
- Ley EJ, Short SS, Liou DZ, Singer MB, Mirocha J, Melo N, Bukur M, Salim A: Gender impacts mortality after traumatic brain injury in teenagers. J Trauma Acute Care Surg, 75(4): 682-6, 2013
- Liou DZ, Warren H, Maher DP, Soukiasian HJ, Melo N, Salim A, Ley EJ: Midodrine: a novel therapeutic for refractory chylothorax. Chest, 144(3): 1055-7, 2013
- Salim A, Ley EJ, Berry C, Schulman D, Navarro S, Zheng L, Chan LS: Increasing organ donation in Hispanic Americans: the role of media and other community outreach efforts. JAMA Surg, 149(1): 71-6, 2014