Helen Goodridge, PhD
Director, Postdoctoral Scientist Program, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Research Scientist, Regenerative Medicine Institute
|Regenerative Medicine Institute|
|Assistant Professor, Biomedical Sciences|
|Assistant Professor, Medicine|
Awards and Activities
|UCLA CTSI Recognition Award||2012|
|Promega Young Immunologist of the Year||2002|
|British Society for Immunology||1998|
|Society for Leukocyte Biology||2006|
|International Endotoxin and Innate Immunity Society||2008|
|American Association of Immunologists||2009|
|International Society for Experimental Hematology||2013|
Macrophages and dendritic cells (DC) are key players in innate immunity and inflammation. The lab is characterizing the mechanisms that regulate the production of these cells (myelopoiesis), the signals that instruct their responses to microbial components and other "danger signals", and the role of these cells in antimicrobial immunity, inflammatory disease and cancer.
Defined mechanisms underlying the activation of macrophages, DCs and HSPCs following detection of bacteria, fungi and parasites by pattern recognition receptors (TLR2, TLR4 and Dectin-1). Demonstrated a molecular mechanism (the "phagocytic synapse") by which Dectin-1 can distinguish between intact fungi, which need to be destroyed, and harmless pieces of fungal debris.
Current investigations include:
Hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells, and cell fate decisions during myelopoiesis.
Macrophage development and function following microbial exposure.
Mechanisms of fungal detection by Dectin-1, and the role of Dectin-1 in immunity, inflammatory disease and cancer.
- Goodridge HS, Underhill DM, Touret N: Mechanisms of fc receptor and dectin-1 activation for phagocytosis. Traffic, 13(8): 1062-71, 2012
- Underhill DM, Goodridge HS: Information processing during phagocytosis. Nat. Rev. Immunol., 12(7): 492-502, 2012
- Goodridge HS, Reyes CN, Becker CA, Katsumoto TR, Ma J, Wolf AJ, Bose N, Chan AS, Magee AS, Danielson ME, Weiss A, Vasilakos JP, Underhill DM: Activation of the innate immune receptor Dectin-1 upon formation of a 'phagocytic synapse'. Nature, 472(7344): 471-5, 2011
- Goodridge HS, Shimada T, Wolf AJ, Hsu YM, Becker CA, Lin X, Underhill DM: Differential use of CARD9 by dectin-1 in macrophages and dendritic cells. J. Immunol., 182(2): 1146-54, 2009
- Goodridge HS, Simmons RM, Underhill DM: Dectin-1 stimulation by Candida albicans yeast or zymosan triggers NFAT activation in macrophages and dendritic cells. J. Immunol., 178(5): 3107-15, 2007
- Goodridge HS, Marshall FA, Else KJ, Houston KM, Egan C, Al-Riyami L, Liew FY, Harnett W, Harnett MM: Immunomodulation via novel use of TLR4 by the filarial nematode phosphorylcholine-containing secreted product, ES-62. J. Immunol., 174(1): 284-93, 2005