Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Hyun Bae, MD
Director, Spine Education, Orthopedics
Awards and Activities
|Outstanding Clinical Paper Award, International Society for the Advancement of Spine||2010|
|Outstanding Basic Science Paper Award, Scoliosis Research Society||2007|
|Outstanding Paper Award, Spine Arthroplasty Society||2005|
|Outstanding Poster Award, Scoliosis Research Society||2004|
|Cervical Spine Research Society, Basic Science Grant Award||2003|
|Cum Laude, Yale School of Medicine||1995|
|North American Spine Society, IL, USA||2001|
|Cervical Research Society, IL, USA||2001|
|Orthopedic Research Society, IL, USA||2001|
Intervertebral disc regeneration and fracture repair. Gene, peptide and stem cell based therapies for treatment of spinal disease. Biomaterials for tissue engineering of bone, disc and bone cell biology. Instrumentation for spinal reconstruction and cements for vertebral compression fracture repair. Basic, pre-clinical and clinical research.
Over 20 years of experience in spine surgery techniques, fracture repair, biomaterials, molecules for tissue engineering of bone, disc and bone cell biology, and translational models for spine tissue engineering. Furthermore, over 10 years of experience in clinical trials on growth factors, stem cell based therapies for spinal disease, instrumentation for spinal reconstruction and cements for vertebral compression fracture repair. Development of novel scaffolds, clinical testing of recombinant proteins, e.g. rhBMP-7 and rhGDF-5, and cell-based treatments for intervertebral disc regeneration.
Current investigations include:
Regulation of inflammatory and catabolic processes in intervertebral disc cells of different levels of degeneration. Mechanosignalling. Testing of potential gene and peptide therapies to reverse intervertebral disc degereneration.
- Bae H, Zhao L, Zhu D, Kanim LE, Wang JC, Delamarter RB: Variability across ten production lots of a single demineralized bone matrix product. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 92(2): 427-35, 2010
- Bae HW, Zhao L, Kanim LE, Wong P, Delamarter RB, Dawson EG: Intervariability and intravariability of bone morphogenetic proteins in commercially available demineralized bone matrix products. Spine, 31(12): 1299-306; discussion 1307-8, 2006
- Patel VV, Zhao L, Wong P, Pradhan BB, Bae HW, Kanim L, Delamarter RB: An in vitro and in vivo analysis of fibrin glue use to control bone morphogenetic protein diffusion and bone morphogenetic protein-stimulated bone growth. The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society, 6(4): 397-403; discussion 404
- Rajaee SS, Kanim LE, Bae HW: National trends in revision spinal fusion in the USA: patient characteristics and complications. Bone Joint J, 96-B(6): 807-16, 2014
- Bae HW, Zhao L, Kanim LE, Wong P, Marshall D, Delamarter RB: Bone marrow enhances the performance of rhBMP-2 in spinal fusion: a rodent model. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 95(4): 338-47, 2013
- Bae HW, Strenge KB, Ashraf N, Badura JM, Peckham SM, McKay WF: Transient soft-tissue edema associated with implantation of increasing doses of rhBMP-2 on an absorbable collagen sponge in an ectopic rat model. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 94(20): 1845-52, 2012