Ilana Cass, M.D.
Vice Chair, Obstetrics and Gynecology
|Professor, Obstetrics and Gynecology|
Awards and Activities
|National Ovarian Cancer Coalition, Commendation for Research in Gynecologic Cancer||2003|
|Editorial Board: Gynecologic Oncology||Current|
|Editorial Consultant/Reviewer: Cancer||Current|
|Editorial Consultant/Reviewer: Clinical Cancer Research||Current|
|Gynecologic Cancer Foundation (GCF)||2000|
|California Cancer Research Program||2001|
|Society of Gynecologic Oncologists (SGO)||2006|
Molecular biology of hereditary gynecologic malignancies. Have examined the clinical characteristics, phenotype and clinical outcome of gynecologic cancers that occur in familial genetic cancer syndromes as a result of hereditary genetic mutations such as the BRCA and DNA mismatch repair genes.
Described the range of gynecologic malignancies that are associated with BRCA hereditary mutations and discovered improved survival in women with BRCA-associated ovarian, tubal and primary peritoneal carcinoma compared to sporadic cancers. Provided further support for the hypothesis that the survival advantage observed in BRCA-mutation carriers results from an enhanced chemosensitivity of these cancers to platinum-based chemotherapy.
Current investigations include:
Phenotype of BRCA associated gynecologic malignancies and environmental factors that influence disease penetrance. Immunologic profiles of vulvar intraepithlial neoplasia as predictors of recurrence or progression of disease.
- Lancaster JM, Powell CB, Kauff ND, Cass I, Chen LM, Lu KH, Mutch DG, Berchuck A, Karlan BY, Herzog TJ, Society of Gynecologic Oncologists Education Committee: Society of Gynecologic Oncologists Education Committee statement on risk assessment for inherited gynecologic cancer predispositions. Gynecol. Oncol., 107(2): 159-62, 2007
- Santillan A, Karam AK, Li AJ, Giuntoli R, Gardner GJ, Cass I, Karlan BY, Bristow RE: Secondary cytoreductive surgery for isolated nodal recurrence in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol. Oncol., 104(3): 686-90, 2006
- Pavelka JC, Brown RS, Karlan BY, Cass I, Leuchter RS, Lagasse LD, Li AJ: Effect of obesity on survival in epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer, 107(7): 1520-4, 2006
- Cass I, Holschneider C, Datta N, Barbuto D, Walts AE, Karlan BY: BRCA-mutation-associated fallopian tube carcinoma: a distinct clinical phenotype?. Obstetrics and gynecology, 106(6): 1327-34, 2005
- Cass I, Baldwin RL, Varkey T, Moslehi R, Narod SA, Karlan BY: Improved survival in women with BRCA-associated ovarian carcinoma. Cancer, 97(9): 2187-95, 2003
- Cass I, Baldwin RL, Fasylova E, Fields AL, Klinger HP, Runowicz CD, Karlan BY: Allelotype of papillary serous peritoneal carcinomas. Gynecol. Oncol., 82(1): 69-76, 2001