Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Julia Ljubimova, MD, PhD
Director, Nanomedicine Research Center, NSI
|Professor, Biomedical Sciences|
Awards and Activities
|American Association of Cancer Research: Member||1999|
Engineering of new biodegradable materials with properties of interest for their potential utilization as drug carriers or drug delivery systems in biomedical and pharmaceutical fields. Design and testing of a new nanopolymer anti-cancer molecular delivery system that specifically delivers drugs to the tumor cells using a targeting monoclonal antibody. This novel system releases tumor growth inhibiting agents specifically into cancer cells without affecting normal surrounding cells.
Discovery of brain tumor genes/proteins important for tumor angiogenesis. Developed nanotechnology to block the synthesis of tumor-specific proteins responsible for angiogenesis. Initiated clinical program at Cedars-Sinai for prognostic and diagnostic evaluation of human brain tumor angiogenic markers.
Current investigations include:
The drug delivery system passing through blood brain barrier to deliver drugs to brain tumors and having the ability to block several cancer-specific tumor markers at the same time by using biodegradable nanoconjugate for brain and breast tumors. Cancer specific drug targeting.
- Ljubimova JY, Fujita M, Ljubimov AV, Torchilin VP, Black KL, Holler E: Poly(malic acid) nanoconjugates containing various antibodies and oligonucleotides for multitargeting drug delivery. Nanomedicine (London, England), 3(2): 247-65, 2008
- Fujita M, Lee BS, Khazenzon NM, Penichet ML, Wawrowsky KA, Patil R, Ding H, Holler E, Black KL, Ljubimova JY: Brain tumor tandem targeting using a combination of monoclonal antibodies attached to biopoly(beta-L-malic acid). Journal of controlled release : official journal of the Controlled Release Society, 122(3): 356-63, 2007
- Fujita M, Khazenzon NM, Ljubimov AV, Lee BS, Virtanen I, Holler E, Black KL, Ljubimova JY: Inhibition of laminin-8 in vivo using a novel poly(malic acid)-based carrier reduces glioma angiogenesis. Angiogenesis, 9(4): 183-91, 2006
- Ljubimova JY, Fugita M, Khazenzon NM, Das A, Pikul BB, Newman D, Sekiguchi K, Sorokin LM, Sasaki T, Black KL: Association between laminin-8 and glial tumor grade, recurrence, and patient survival. Cancer, 101(3): 604-12, 2004
- Khazenzon NM, Ljubimov AV, Lakhter AJ, Fujita M, Fujiwara H, Sekiguchi K, Sorokin LM, Petäjäniemi N, Virtanen I, Black KL, Ljubimova JY: Antisense inhibition of laminin-8 expression reduces invasion of human gliomas in vitro. Mol. Cancer Ther., 2(10): 985-94, 2003
- Lee BS, Fujita M, Khazenzon NM, Wawrowsky KA, Wachsmann-Hogiu S, Farkas DL, Black KL, Ljubimova JY, Holler E: Polycefin, a new prototype of a multifunctional nanoconjugate based on poly(beta-L-malic acid) for drug delivery. Bioconjug. Chem., 17(2): 317-26, 2006