Lali K. Medina-Kauwe, PhD
Research Scientist, Biomedical Sciences
|Associate Professor, Biomedical Sciences|
|Associate Professor, Medicine|
Awards and Activities
|Profiled Researcher, International Innovation Healthcare journal||2011|
|National Cancer Institute CURE Award||2003|
|Guest Editor: Gene Therapy||2004 - 2005|
|Phi Beta Kappa||1989 - 2005|
|UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center||2006|
|American Association for Cancer Research||2007|
|American Society for Nanomedicine||2011|
Using the cell penetration functions of pathogen proteins to develop novel cell-targeted nanotherapeutics. Studying protein-host cell interactions, including endocytic routing, to direct the design of our nanoparticles for improved therapy. Currently testing these particles for cancer targeting and treatment.
Developed a recombinant protein that can target genes, drugs, and toxic compounds to cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Demonstrated that this protein utilizes multiple distinct routes of cell entry. Discovered a novel cell entry route thru the testing of recombinant soluble viral proteins.
Current investigations include:
Testing targeted drug complexes for ablation of HER2+ tumors in a mouse model of drug resistant breast cancer. Tumor-targeting immunostimulatory activities of small nucleic acids. Studying nanoparticle cell entry routes to introduce traffic-enhancing modifications for improved therapeutic efficacy.
- Agadjanian H, Ma J, Rentsendorj A, Valluripalli V, Hwang JY, Mahammed A, Farkas DL, Gray HB, Gross Z, Medina-Kauwe LK: Tumor detection and elimination by a targeted gallium corrole. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 106(15): 6105-10, 2009
- Medina-Kauwe LK: "Alternative" endocytic mechanisms exploited by pathogens: new avenues for therapeutic delivery?. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev., 59(8): 798-809, 2007
- Agadjanian H, Chu D, Hwang JY, Wachsmann-Hogiu S, Rentsendorj A, Song L, Valluripalli V, Lubow J, Ma J, Sharifi B, Farkas DL, Medina-Kauwe LK: Chemotherapy targeting by DNA capture in viral protein particles. Nanomedicine (London, England), 7(3): 335-52, 2012
- Xie J, Chiang L, Contreras J, Wu K, Garner JA, Medina-Kauwe L, Hamm-Alvarez SF: Novel fiber-dependent entry mechanism for adenovirus serotype 5 in lacrimal acini. J. Virol., 80(23): 11833-51, 2006
- Hwang JY, Lubow J, Chu D, Ma J, Agadjanian H, Sims J, Gray HB, Gross Z, Farkas DL, Medina-Kauwe LK: A mechanistic study of tumor-targeted corrole toxicity. Mol. Pharm., 8(6): 2233-43, 2011
- Hwang JY, Lubow DJ, Chu D, Sims J, Alonso-Valenteen F, Gray HB, Gross Z, Farkas DL, Medina-Kauwe LK: Photoexcitation of tumor-targeted corroles induces singlet oxygen-mediated augmentation of cytotoxicity. Journal of controlled release : official journal of the Controlled Release Society, 163(3): 368-73, 2012