Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Michael Weisman, MD
Awards and Activities
|Cedars Sinai Chair in Rheumatology||2013|
|Master, American College of Rheumatology||2005|
|Editor: Rheumatology 5e||2010|
|Editor: Treatment of the Rheumatic Diseases||2009|
|Editor: Ankylosing Spondylitis and the Spondyloarthropathies||2006|
|President, Research and Education Foundation, American College of Rheumatology||2005|
Genetic susceptibility and environmental risk for pathogenesis of rheumatic diseases; genome wide scanning and environmental assessments to determine susceptibility and severity for hand osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and rheumatoid arthritis; pre-clinical biomarkers and patient reported outcome measures as independent and dependent variables for disease outcome.
Discovery of the additional genes (IL-23R, ARTS-1) responsible for susceptibility to ankylosing spondylitis, development of a model to uncover environmental risk for pre-clinical autoimmune diseases.
Current investigations include:
Preclinical autoimmunity biomarkers as indicators of genetic susceptibility to disease; genome wide scanning and biomarker assessment to determine mechanisms of disease overlap between ankylosing spondylitis and Crohn's Disease; patient reported outcomes to determine severity risk for lupus in the underserved community.
- Weisman MH, Witter JP, Reveille JD: The prevalence of inflammatory back pain: population-based estimates from the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2009-10. Ann. Rheum. Dis., , 2012
- Reveille JD, Witter JP, Weisman MH: Prevalence of axial spondylarthritis in the United States: estimates from a cross-sectional survey. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken), 64(6): 905-10, 2012
- Reveille JD, Hirsch R, Dillon CF, Carroll MD, Weisman MH: The prevalence of HLA-B27 in the US: data from the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2009. Arthritis Rheum., 64(5): 1407-11, 2012
- Demoruelle MK, Weisman MH, Simonian PL, Lynch DA, Sachs PB, Pedraza IF, Harrington AR, Kolfenbach JR, Striebich CC, Pham QN, Strickland CD, Petersen BD, Parish MC, Derber LA, Norris JM, Holers VM, Deane KD: Brief report: airways abnormalities and rheumatoid arthritis-related autoantibodies in subjects without arthritis: early injury or initiating site of autoimmunity?. Arthritis Rheum., 64(6): 1756-61, 2011
- Ishimori ML, Martin R, Berman DS, Goykhman P, Shaw LJ, Shufelt C, Slomka PJ, Thomson LE, Schapira J, Yang Y, Wallace DJ, Weisman MH, Bairey Merz CN: Myocardial ischemia in the absence of obstructive coronary artery disease in systemic lupus erythematosus. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging, 4(1): 27-33, 2011