Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Miklos Peterfy, PhD
Director, Murine Models of Metabolic Disease Lab, Biomedical Sciences
|Professor, Human Genetics|
|Associate Professor, Medicine|
Awards and Activities
|Reviewer: Physiological Genomics||Current|
|Reviewer: PLOS Genetics||Current|
|Reviewer: Journal of Lipid Research||Current|
|American Diabetes Association||2001|
Research in the Laboratory of Murine Models of Metabolic Disease focuses on the genetics of metabolic diseases including obesity, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and hyperlipidemia. The mouse is used as a model organism to discover and characterize novel genes involved in metabolism.
Discovered and characterized novel genes involved in insulin resistance, obesity and lipid metabolism.
Current investigations include:
Currently investigating the role of a recently discovered gene, Lmf1, in lipid metabolism. Transgenic and knock-out mouse models are used to explore metabolic consequences of tissue-specific overexpression or deficiency of Lmf1. In vitro studies are directed at understanding the molecular functions of Lmf1. Other work focuses on the genetics of diabetes-susceptibility in an obese mouse model, C57BLKS-db.
- Péterfy M, Ben-Zeev O, Mao HZ, Weissglas-Volkov D, Aouizerat BE, Pullinger CR, Frost PH, Kane JP, Malloy MJ, Reue K, Pajukanta P, Doolittle MH: Mutations in LMF1 cause combined lipase deficiency and severe hypertriglyceridemia. Nat. Genet., 39(12): 1483-7, 2007
- Péterfy M, Mao HZ, Doolittle MH: The cld mutation: narrowing the critical chromosomal region and selecting candidate genes. Mamm. Genome, 17(10): 1013-24, 2006
- Mao HZ, Roussos ET, Péterfy M: Genetic analysis of the diabetes-prone C57BLKS/J mouse strain reveals genetic contribution from multiple strains. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1762(4): 440-6, 2006
- Péterfy M, Phan J, Reue K: Alternatively spliced lipin isoforms exhibit distinct expression pattern, subcellular localization, and role in adipogenesis. J. Biol. Chem., 280(38): 32883-9, 2005
- Davis RC, Schadt EE, Cervino AC, Péterfy M, Lusis AJ: Ultrafine mapping of SNPs from mouse strains C57BL/6J, DBA/2J, and C57BLKS/J for loci contributing to diabetes and atherosclerosis susceptibility. Diabetes, 54(4): 1191-9, 2005
- Péterfy M, Phan J, Xu P, Reue K: Lipodystrophy in the fld mouse results from mutation of a new gene encoding a nuclear protein, lipin. Nat. Genet., 27(1): 121-4, 2001