Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Paul Lapchak, PhD, FAHA
Director, Translational Research, Neurology
Awards and Activities
|Chartered member of NINDS Study Section NSD-A||2010|
|Fellow American Heart Association (FAHA)||2010|
|Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Neurology & Neurophysiology||Current|
|Editorial Board Member: Journal of Neurology & Neurophysiology||Current|
|Editorial Board Member: Translational Stroke Research||2010 - 2012|
|Society For Neuroscience||1984|
|American Heart Association Stroke Council||2000|
|American Heart Association||2000|
The translational stroke research laboratory is developing new therapeutic approaches to treat acute ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. As a primary focus, we are developing natural product analogs derived from plants and other natural sources. We also focus on the application of new technologies to treat stroke and follow the progression of stroke in vitro and in vivo.
Dr. Lapchak has been developing drugs and devices to treat neurodegenerative diseases for over 20 years and has focused on treating stroke for over 13 years. He is recognized internationally as an expert with the use of a translational embolic stroke model to develop stroke therapies. The highly reproducible model has been refined and calibrated so that it may be used as an effective translational tool.The goal is to help stroke patients regain independence following an attack and redeuce the high mortality rate associated wiht stroke.
Current investigations include:
Important laboratory projects include:
Testing neuroprotective agents to attenuate ischemia-induced spinal cord injury and paraplegia
Testing novel erythropoietin analogs as a treatment for stroke
Studying the role of cytochrome oxidase in laser-induced neuroprotection
Developing therapies to use in combination with thrombolytics to treat stroke
Preliminary testing of cinnamic acid and caffeic acid analogs as neuroprotectants.
Testing novel devices to treat stroke.
- Lapchak PA: Translational Stroke Research Using a Rabbit Embolic Stroke Model: A Correlative Analysis Hypothesis for Novel Therapy Development. Transl Stroke Res, 1(2): 96-107, 2010
- Lapchak PA: A series of novel neuroprotective blood brain barrier penetrating flavonoid drugs to treat acute ischemic stroke. Curr. Pharm. Des., 18(25): 3694-703, 2012
- Lapchak PA: Erythropoietin molecules to treat acute ischemic stroke: a translational dilemma!. Expert Opin Investig Drugs, 19(10): 1179-86, 2010
- Lapchak PA: A new embolus injection method to evaluate intracerebral hemorrhage in New Zealand white rabbits. Brain Res., 1349: 129-36, 2010
- Lapchak PA, Schubert DR, Maher PA: Delayed treatment with a novel neurotrophic compound reduces behavioral deficits in rabbit ischemic stroke. J. Neurochem., 116(1): 122-31, 2010
- Lapchak PA: Transcranial near-infrared laser therapy applied to promote clinical recovery in acute and chronic neurodegenerative diseases. Expert Rev Med Devices, 9(1): 71-83, 2012