Shaomei Wang, MD, PhD
Research Scientist, Regenerative Medicine Institute
|Regenerative Medicine Institute|
|Associate Professor, Biomedical Sciences|
Awards and Activities
|Editor: Journal of Transplantation & Technology research||Current|
|Member, Association for Research in Vision and Opthalmology||1997|
Cell-based therapy for retinal degeneration and optic nerve neuropathy, mechanism of stem cells in rescuing vision, immunological response of human cells into the eye of animal model.
Leader in using cell-based therapy for retinal degeneration and non-invasive delivery of stem cells for retinal diseases.
Current investigations include:
Bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells to treat retinal degeneration and associated vascular pathology; ips-dervied retinal stem cells for retinal degeneration; Retinal progenitor cells to treat retinistis pigmentosa; RPE cells to treat AMD; Immune response of grafting human progenitors into humanized mice.
Cell based therapy for optic nerve neuropathy.
- Wang S, Lu B, Girman S, Duan J, McFarland T, Zhang QS, Grompe M, Adamus G, Appukuttan B, Lund R: Non-invasive stem cell therapy in a rat model for retinal degeneration and vascular pathology. PLoS ONE, 5(2): e9200, 2010
- Adamus G, Wang S, Kyger M, Worley A, Lu B, Burrows GG: Systemic immunotherapy delays photoreceptor cell loss and prevents vascular pathology in Royal College of Surgeons rats. Mol. Vis., 18: 2323-37, 2012
- Lu B, Wang S, Francis PJ, Li T, Gamm DM, Capowski EE, Lund RD: Cell transplantation to arrest early changes in an ush2a animal model. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., 51(4): 2269-76, 2009
- Lu B, Malcuit C, Wang S, Girman S, Francis P, Lemieux L, Lanza R, Lund R: Long-term safety and function of RPE from human embryonic stem cells in preclinical models of macular degeneration. Stem Cells, 27(9): 2126-35, 2009
- Wang S, Girman S, Lu B, Bischoff N, Holmes T, Shearer R, Wright LS, Svendsen CN, Gamm DM, Lund RD: Long-term vision rescue by human neural progenitors in a rat model of photoreceptor degeneration. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., 49(7): 3201-6, 2008
- Wang S, Lu B, Girman S, Holmes T, Bischoff N, Lund RD: Morphological and functional rescue in RCS rats after RPE cell line transplantation at a later stage of degeneration. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., 49(1): 416-21, 2008