Vera Chesnokova, PhD
Research Scientist, Endocrinology/Metabolism
Awards and Activities
|Independent Investigator Award||2009|
|Young Investigator Award||2003|
|Young Investigator Award||1999|
|Editorial Board: Frontiers in Systems and Translational Endocrinology||Current|
|Editorial Board : The Open Physiology Journal (Bentham Science)||Current|
|The Endocrine Society||1999|
|International Pituitary Society||2005|
Molecular and physiological mechanism of pituitary tumor development. Role of pituitary cell senescence in tumor growth. Mouse transgenic models of pituitary tumors.
Adult neurogenesis in hippocampus. Role of cell cycle proteins in generation of new neurons. Mechanisms underlying stimulation of adult neurogenesis by antidepressants.
Found that expression of senescence-associated proteins restrain pituitary tumor development in mice, and may underlie slow growth of pituitary tumors in humans.
Discovered that cell cycle inhibitor p21 plays a key role in restraining neuronal proliferation in hippocampus, and the action of antidepressants on neurogenesis occurs via p21 suppression.
Current investigations include:
Transgenic models of pituitary tumors. Human pituitary adenoma . Cell cycle proteins and senescence markers in the pituitary cells.
The effects of stress, inflammation and antidepressants on cell cycle proteins and neurogenesis in hippocampus.
- Chesnokova V, Zonis S, Wawrowsky K, Tani Y, Ben-Shlomo A, Ljubimov V, Mamelak A, Bannykh S, Melmed S: Clusterin and FOXL2 Act Concordantly to Regulate Pituitary Gonadotroph Adenoma Growth. Mol. Endocrinol., , 2012
- Chesnokova V, Melmed S: Pituitary senescence: the evolving role of Pttg. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol., 326(1-2): 55-9, 2010
- Pechnick RN, Chesnokova V: Adult neurogenesis, cell cycle and drug discovery in psychiatry. Neuropsychopharmacology, 34(1): 244, 2009
- Pechnick RN, Zonis S, Wawrowsky K, Pourmorady J, Chesnokova V: p21Cip1 restricts neuronal proliferation in the subgranular zone of the dentate gyrus of the hippocampus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 105(4): 1358-63, 2008
- Chesnokova V, Zonis S, Kovacs K, Ben-Shlomo A, Wawrowsky K, Bannykh S, Melmed S: p21(Cip1) restrains pituitary tumor growth. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 105(45): 17498-503, 2008
- Chesnokova V, Zonis S, Rubinek T, Yu R, Ben-Shlomo A, Kovacs K, Wawrowsky K, Melmed S: Senescence mediates pituitary hypoplasia and restrains pituitary tumor growth. Cancer Res., 67(21): 10564-72, 2007