Wolf Ruprecht Wiedemeyer, PhD
Research Scientist, Women's Cancer Program, Cancer Institute
|Assistant Professor, OBGYN|
My lab focuses on genes and molecular pathways that control proliferation and drug resistance in advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. One particular area of interest is cyclin E (CCNE1), a frequently amplified gene in serous ovarian cancers. Using genetic and pharmacological approaches, we are investigating how CCNE1-amplified tumors can be targeted therapeutically.
We have used oncogenomics to describe novel genomic aberrations in human cancers and their impact on targeted cancer therapy.
Current investigations include:
Our current research investigates the role of cyclin E in ovarian cancer progression, its functional interaction with other ovarian cancer oncogenes, and the ramifications for targeted therapy approaches. We use mouse models of ovarian cancer, cell lines models, as well as xenografts of primary human ovarian cancers to study tumor evolution following targeted therapy.
- Genovese G, Ergun A, Shukla SA, Campos B, Hanna J, Ghosh P, Quayle SN, Rai K, Colla S, Ying H, Wu CJ, Sarkar S, Xiao Y, Zhang J, Zhang H, Kwong L, Dunn K, Wiedemeyer WR, Brennan C, Zheng H, Rimm DL, Collins JJ, Chin L: microRNA regulatory network inference identifies miR-34a as a novel regulator of TGF-ß signaling in glioblastoma. Cancer Discov, 2(8): 736-49, 2012
- Wiedemeyer WR, Dunn IF, Quayle SN, Zhang J, Chheda MG, Dunn GP, Zhuang L, Rosenbluh J, Chen S, Xiao Y, Shapiro GI, Hahn WC, Chin L: Pattern of retinoblastoma pathway inactivation dictates response to CDK4/6 inhibition in GBM. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 107(25): 11501-6, 2010
- Zheng H, Ying H, Wiedemeyer R, Yan H, Quayle SN, Ivanova EV, Paik JH, Zhang H, Xiao Y, Perry SR, Hu J, Vinjamoori A, Gan B, Sahin E, Chheda MG, Brennan C, Wang YA, Hahn WC, Chin L, DePinho RA: PLAGL2 regulates Wnt signaling to impede differentiation in neural stem cells and gliomas. Cancer Cell, 17(5): 497-509, 2010
- Zheng H, Ying H, Yan H, Kimmelman AC, Hiller DJ, Chen AJ, Perry SR, Tonon G, Chu GC, Ding Z, Stommel JM, Dunn KL, Wiedemeyer R, You MJ, Brennan C, Wang YA, Ligon KL, Wong WH, Chin L, DePinho RA: p53 and Pten control neural and glioma stem/progenitor cell renewal and differentiation. Nature, 455(7216): 1129-33, 2008
- Wiedemeyer R, Brennan C, Heffernan TP, Xiao Y, Mahoney J, Protopopov A, Zheng H, Bignell G, Furnari F, Cavenee WK, Hahn WC, Ichimura K, Collins VP, Chu GC, Stratton MR, Ligon KL, Futreal PA, Chin L: Feedback circuit among INK4 tumor suppressors constrains human glioblastoma development. Cancer Cell, 13(4): 355-64, 2008
- Stommel JM, Kimmelman AC, Ying H, Nabioullin R, Ponugoti AH, Wiedemeyer R, Stegh AH, Bradner JE, Ligon KL, Brennan C, Chin L, DePinho RA: Coactivation of receptor tyrosine kinases affects the response of tumor cells to targeted therapies. Science, 318(5848): 287-90, 2007