William Hardy, MD
Director, Infectious Disease
|Associate Professor, Medicine|
1) Development of retroviral vectors for gene therapy and vaccine applications. Specifically, lab works with recombinant foamy virus vectors expressing HIV-1 gag proteins. Studies involve both in vitro characterization and optimization of these vectors as well as small animal model studies.
2) Clinical trials (phase II and III) of investigational antiretroviral agents for treatment of HIV infection.
3) Clinical trials of therapeutic vaccines for HIV infection.
Laboratory research focused on developing recombinant foamy virus vectors has demonstrated the gene therapy and vaccine vector potential of this nonpathogenic retrovirus as a useful replication-competent, integrating vector. These studies also set the stages for further pre-clinical studies in small animal models.
Clinical research has identified, characterized and help approve safe and effective novel anti-HIV treatments.
Current investigations include:
Lab develops recombinant foamy virus vectors expressing HIV-1 gag proteins.
Clinical research focuses on phase II and III clinical trials of investigational antiretroviral agents amd therapeutic vaccines.
- Holland GN, Vaudaux JD, Jeng SM, Yu F, Goldenberg DT, Folz IC, Cumberland WG, McCannel CA, Helm CJ, Hardy WD, : Characteristics of untreated AIDS-related cytomegalovirus retinitis. I. Findings before the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (1988 to 1994). Am. J. Ophthalmol., 145(1): 5-11, 2008
- Palys EE, Li J, Gaut PL, Hardy WD: Tricuspid valve endocarditis with Group B Streptococcus after an elective abortion: the need for new data. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol, 2006: 43253, 2006
- Van Vuuren M, Stylianides E, Kania SA, Zuckerman EE, Hardy WD: Evaluation of an indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of feline lentivirus-reactive antibodies in wild felids, employing a puma lentivirus-derived synthetic peptide antigen. Onderstepoort J. Vet. Res., 70(1): 1-6, 2003
- Lalezari JP, Friedberg DN, Bissett J, Giordano MF, Hardy WD, Drew WL, Hubbard LD, Buhles WC, Stempien MJ, Georgiou P, Jung DT, Robinson CA, : High dose oral ganciclovir treatment for cytomegalovirus retinitis. J. Clin. Virol., 24(1-2): 67-77, 2002
- Goodgame JC, Pottage JC, Jablonowski H, Hardy WD, Stein A, Fischl M, Morrow P, Feinberg J, Brothers CH, Vafidis I, Nacci P, Yeo J, Pedneault L: Amprenavir in combination with lamivudine and zidovudine versus lamivudine and zidovudine alone in HIV-1-infected antiretroviral-naive adults. Amprenavir PROAB3001 International Study Team. Antivir. Ther. (Lond.), 5(3): 215-25, 2000
- Hardy WD, Hitt RS: Designing salvage antiretroviral regimens. Some basic guidelines and use of resistance testing. Postgraduate medicine, 107(4): 149-53, 157-60, 2000