Pre-Healthcare Volunteer Program Overview
The Pre-Healthcare Volunteer Program is for undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students who are planning to apply to medical school and becoming a physician. The program gives volunteers the opportunity to participate in direct observation of physician mentors at Cedars-Sinai.
- Volunteers will have the opportunity to shadow their mentors in a variety of environments, which may include observing patient care in clinic, inpatient or operating room settings, as well as the opportunity to attend meetings held by executive leadership, grand rounds and lectures.
- Each volunteer will be assigned to a physician mentor by the program's medical adviser. Volunteers will be allowed to shadow only their assigned mentors as approved by the Volunteer Services Department. Volunteers will not seek out or approach other physicians at Cedars-Sinai for observation opportunities.
- There are three rotations per year (Spring, Summer and Fall), each approximately 8 to 10 weeks in length. Accepted students are required to complete one full rotation, after which they may apply to do a second rotation.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have completed at least one semester of college. GPA requirement of 3.5 or above.
- Complete a phone assessment, submit supplemental materials and attend an in-person interview (see dates below).
- Volunteers accepted in the program, must be available during the rotation (October 8–December 12, 2018) for weekly group meetings on Wednesdays from 4 p.m.–6 p.m.. The meetings are to discuss volunteer observations and listen to physicians from the Medical Center speak about their career.
- Physician shadowing is scheduled directly between the assigned mentor and the volunteer. Time commitment should be at least once a week for 4 hours.
- Ideal candidates are self-starters, can work independently, have strong interpersonal skills and a desire to learn.
- We are seeking applicants who have a strong desire and commitment to apply to medical school.
How to Apply
We are currently at capacity for the Summer 2018 and Fall 2018 rotations. Information regarding the Spring 2019 and Summer 2019 rotations will be released at a later date.
- Fill out the application completely and select which session you are applying for and click Submit.
- If you have previously volunteered or submitted a volunteer application at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, please call our office at 310-423-8044 before submitting a new application so that we can provide you with a link for returning volunteers.
- During the application cycle, only selected applicants will be interviewed in-person by Volunteer Services staff and will be required to complete a Pre-Healthcare Supplemental Application, which consists of a face sheet, photograph, unofficial transcripts, two essays, and résumé/CV. More information on this part of the application process will be discussed once we receive your initial online application.
Interview Dates: Interviews times will be 4 p.m.–5 p.m. or 5 p.m.–6 p.m. during the date below (applicants who are not available for an in-person interview will be deferred to the Spring 2019 applicant group).
- Tuesday, August 14
- Monday, August 20
- Tuesday, August 21
- Wednesday, August 22
- Monday, August 27
- Tuesday, August 28
- Wednesday, August 29
- Tuesday, September 4
- Wednesday, September 5
- Attend a mandatory Adult Volunteer General Orientation.
- Schedule an appointment with Employee Health Services (EHS) to obtain a health clearance (free of charge). During influenza season, all volunteers must receive a seasonal flu vaccination which is provided by EHS free of charge to volunteers. Details will be discussed at the interview and during orientation.
- Purchase a uniform jacket ($30) at Volunteer Services. Details will be discussed at the interview and during orientation.