Please read the information below carefully, as the structure and requirements for our Summer Session have changed for the upcoming year.
We accept teen volunteer applications one time per year. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis, and we reach capacity very quickly. The application opens on Feb. 1 every year.
The Cedars-Sinai Teen Volunteer Program encourages teens to commit to a full year of volunteering. The program consists of two sessions, Summer and Academic. Only one application is required for both sessions. Teens can volunteer for one or both sessions.
For the first time, in 2018 we will be offering two summer sessions (see below for exact dates). Teens can choose to volunteer for one or both summer sessions based on their schedule and availability. Due to the popularity of our program, applications will be reviewed and accepted based on merit and availability.
Teen Program Requirements
Age Requirements and Program Dates
- Applicants must be 14-18 years old and enrolled in high school. All teen volunteers must be at least 14 by the start date of their chosen session.
- Summer Session I—June 11-July 15, 2018
- Summer Session II—July 16-Aug. 19, 2018
- Academic Session—October through mid-April (exact dates to be determined)
- Summer Session I and II: Teens commit to volunteering for one four-hour shift every week. Teens must volunteer for a minimum of 20 hours for each session. Teens can only be absent for one shift.
- Academic Session: Teens commit to volunteering for one two-hour shift every week. Teens must volunteer for a minimum of 40 hours. Teen can be absent for a maximum of six shifts.
- We require teen volunteers to complete an entire session to receive documentation of hours. We no longer issue certificates of completion but will happily supply a signed hours log with the Cedars-Sinai logo for teens requiring official documentation.
- If teens violate the absence policy or hours requirement, they risk termination from the program. Termination from the program is at the discretion of the Teen Program supervisor and the director of Volunteer Services.
Application and screening process
- Complete the online application and submit a letter of recommendation; you can download our Letter of Recommendation Template (PDF)
- Upon acceptance into the program, the teen volunteer and a parent or guardian must attend a mandatory Parent/Teen Informational Session in March 2018 (exact dates to be determined)
- Complete necessary health requirements (more information provided at Parent/Teen Information Session)
- Attend mandatory orientation weekend (dates provided at Parent/Teen Information Session)
- Receive badge and purchase uniform jacket ($30) prior to your first day
We have a rigorous volunteer screening process and evaluate all volunteers with care. The process is ongoing so we can ensure that our Teen Volunteer Program benefits the patients and families of Cedars-Sinai.
Important: Our primary form of communication with our volunteers is email. Please check your inbox regularly.
We look forward to welcoming you to our Teen Volunteer Program.
Contact us for more information.