Title VI (Civil Rights) Complaint Process

CSHS Title VI Complaint Process

Cedars-Sinai Health System provides all patients and the public with equal access to all its health care programs and medical services. It is important to patients and members of the public that they be aware of their rights to such access.  

This site serves as an information and educational tool for patients and the public so that they may understand one of the civil rights laws that protects their access to and benefit of CSHS health care programs and services: Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

What is Title VI?

Title VI is a section of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 requiring that “No person in the United States shall on the grounds of race, color or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

How do I file a complaint?

If you believe that you have received discriminatory treatment by CSHS on the basis of your race, color or national origin, you have the right to file a complaint with the CSHS Title VI Program Office. The complaint must be filed no later than 180 calendar days following the alleged discrimination.

Public Civil Rights Complaint Form

Formulario de quejas sobre derechos civiles (Spanish)

Анкета для подачи жалобы о нарушении гражданских прав (Russian)

민권 불만 신고서 (Korean)

فرم شکايت حقوق مدنی عمومی (Farsi)

نموذج شكوى الحقوق المدنية العامة (Arabic)

What are the Methods of filing a complaint?

The preferred method is to file your complaint in writing using the CSHS Title VI Complaint Form, and sending it to the:

Title VI Program Manager
Corporate Compliance Office
Cedars-Sinai Health System
8700 Beverly Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90048
FAX: 323-866-7871

Verbal inquiries will be accepted by the Title VI Program Office. Actual complaints must be documented and signed by the person alleging discrimination or authorized designee before the complaint is accepted and processed.

To make a verbal inquiry, call (323) 866-7875

You also have the right to file a Title VI complaint with an external entity such as:

  • The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS)
  • The U.S. Department of Transportation --Federal Transit Administration (FTA)
  • The California Department of Fair Employment & Housing (DFEH) or
  • another federal, state, regional or local funding agency.

Please review information on the respective agency websites for details and guidance on filing Title VI complaints.

Should a complaint be filed with CSHS and an external public entity simultaneously, the external complaint shall supersede the CSHS complaint and the CSHS’s complaint procedures will be suspended pending the external entity’s investigation and findings.

CSHS Title VI Investigations

Within 15 working days of receipt of a formal Title VI complaint, the Title VI Program Office will notify the complainant and begin the investigation (unless the complaint is filed with an external entity first or simultaneously).

The investigation will address Title VI complaint allegations against any CSHS individual, department or division. If the complaint is not based on Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Program Office will refer the individual to the appropriate CSHS person or office for follow-up.

The investigation may include discussion(s) of the complaint with all named and affected parties. The complainant may be represented by an attorney or other representative of his/her own choosing and may bring witnesses and present testimony and evidence in the course of the investigation.

CSHS will make every effort to conduct and complete the investigation within 60 days of the receipt of the formal complaint. The Title VI Program Manager will maintain documentation of the investigation as necessary for disposition, recordkeeping and reporting purposes.

The complainant will receive a letter stating the final decision of the Title VI Program Office.

The complainant shall be notified of his/her right to appeal the decision.

Appeals may be made to the:

  • United States Department of Health & Human Services,
  • United States Department of Transportation,
  • Federal Transit Administration,
  • California Department of Fair Employment & Housing, or
  • other funding federal or state agencies.