FHA and normal controls:
- Premenopausal by WISE criteria currently not on hormone therapy
- English speaking (for the purposes of complete psychosocial assessment)
- Able to give informed consent
- Gynecological age (age since menarche) > 10 and < 25 years
- Chronological age >18 years
- Within 90-110% of ideal body weight as determined by the 1983 Metropolitan height and weight table for women
- Exercise < 10 h/wk and run < 10 mi/wk.
- All patients with hypothalamic amenorrhea will be diagnosed based on exclusion of other etiologies for their amenorrhea, including pregnancy, thyroid dysfunction, hyperprolactinemia,POI, and polycystic ovary disease.
- HyperE will include women electively undergoing IVF for male fertility factor, female factor due to tubal blockage, elective egg donation or storage or unexplained fertility.
- Age 18-40 years and not pregnant
- Women with HyperE will be measured prior to starting IVF and at peak estradiol level for data collection.
- Medications, including psychotropic or illicit drugs
- Medical, neurological, or ophthalmologic disease except acuity problems
- Major Axis I disorder other than depression
- Parturition in the last 12 months and/or lactating in the last 6 months
- Not currently using hormone contraceptive or any estrogen or progestin therapy