Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Membership constitutes an appointment in the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute (CSHI) and is available to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (CSMC) faculty, medical staff and certain other individuals who meet the criteria outlined below. Membership serves to recognize significant, current contributions to all of CSHI’s three pillars – research, patient care and education.
Core Requirements for CSHI Membership
- Adheres to nationally-accepted high standards of quality and ethical conduct in medical practice and/or research.
- Demonstrated commitment to research, teaching, educational and/or training programs related to cardiovascular disease.
- Regularly attends and participates in CSHI sponsored seminars, committees, forums, and/or is a member in good standing of a CSHI Center of Excellence.
- If clinically active, participates in CSHI’s clinical integration and quality improvement initiatives by providing data related to clinical services and outcomes including outpatient services not rendered at CSMC when requested and as deemed appropriate by CSHI. While hard-copy information may be requested from time to time, it is expected that data will be submitted to CSHI via electronic medical record (EMR) applications or other electronic interfaces. CSHI will use its best efforts to assist members with the transmission of these data.
In addition to the core requirements above, CSHI Members must meet all of the requirements for at least one of the following categories:
Category A – Faculty Status
Candidate is active (present or within the past 12 months) full or part-time faculty of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in heart-related activities, typically within the divisions of adult cardiology, pediatric cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery and cardiac imaging. The CSHI Director may also extend Member status to faculty of other departments that contribute directly to CSHI (e.g. cardiac pathology, vascular surgery, vascular intervention, emergency medicine and cardiac anesthesia).
Category B – Research
Candidate is on the Medical Staff with expertise to enrich the overall interdisciplinary research environment of the CSHI. Candidate meets at least one of the following eligibility criteria:
- Conducts clinical research as a principal or co-investigator of Cedars-Sinai IRB-approved therapeutic clinical trials or accrues significant numbers of patients to such clinical trials (minimum of 5 patients per year).
- Is a principal or co-investigator of an active Cedars-Sinai IRB / IACUC approved research protocol who systematically contributes to the research as a key collaborator (for example, procures clinical specimens, provides diagnostic expertise, directs laboratory experiments, etc.).
Category C – Clinical Service and Education
Candidate is on the Medical Staff and is board certified/eligible in their relevant field of medical practice. Special exceptions: (e.g., cardiologists certified in other countries but not in the U.S. but also F.A.C.C. and/or having other qualifications felt to be of equal certification) can be presented by the Heart Institute Membership Committee to the CSHI Director for special approval. Candidate enriches the clinical and academic environments of the Heart Institute through active, enthusiastic teaching participation within CSHI. Qualifying teaching activities include:
- Publication of academic articles/abstracts
- Invited lectures at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Participation in training programs (medical student/resident/fellow teaching, making CSMC patients available to medical student/resident/fellow teaching programs and services where possible and reasonable)
Category D – Member in Training
Candidate is actively enrolled in CSHI fellowship, housestaff or post-doctoral training programs.
Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute Affiliation
CSHI seeks to recognize the unique relationship it has with individuals who do not otherwise qualify for membership, and with outside institutions that serve as true partners through their extraordinary contributions to CSHI’s research, patient care and/or educational programs. CSHI Affiliate status can be achieved through either of the following:
Adjunct Academic Affiliate
Adjunct Academic Affiliate status can be granted at the discretion of the CSHI Director to individuals who do not otherwise qualify for CSHI membership but who demonstrate significant commitment to CSHI and make an important contribution to the academic mission of CSHI.
Adjunct Academic Affiliates are authorized to incorporate the “Adjunct Academic Affiliate, Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute” title into their signature block on appropriate correspondence.
Institutional Affiliates are outside hospitals and health systems (and their approved/designated faculty/medical staff members) who have executed a formal “Affiliation Agreement” with CSHI.
Membership Responsibilities, Resource Access and Application Procedure
Members and Affiliates are expected to contribute to CSHI through support of and participation in CSHI activities and to:
- Support CSHI’s mission, goals and priorities.
- Demonstrate collaboration and interaction with other CSHI investigators and inform the Director and/or program leader of cardiovascular-related intramural research proposals and extramural grant applications in which the member is or plans to be involved in order to better plan and implement programs and to document CSHI’s research base.
- If applicable, provide CSHI with an annual summary of research activities and an updated NIH bio-sketch (including all publications and research support) and list CSHI as an affiliation on all publications, as applicable and as may be approved by CSHI.
- Participate in CSHI inquiries and research audits as needed.
- Serve on program and review committees as needed, subject to reasonable limits on total committee service at any given time.
- Provide information to CSHI on Cedars-Sinai-based cardiovascular studies (including up-to-date patient accrual information and external audit reports) regardless of whether or not CSHI shared resources have been utilized.
- Notify CSHI leadership prior to external research audits.
Resource Access and Assistance
Members and Affiliates may be eligible for participation in various CSHI initiatives including but not limited to the following:
- Eligible to apply for targeted funding, development funds and interim research support as available if offered by CSHI (funding and support to be allocated to CSMC and/or CSHI research and development accounts, at CSMC’s and CSHI’s discretion).
- Eligible to participate in planning for CSHI program development.
- Eligible to participate in CSHI-sponsored educational seminars, special educational events and educational retreats (subject to CSMC’s policies on pricing, support, etc.).
- Eligible for support to facilitate participation in CSHI’s clinical integration and quality improvement initiatives (subject to CSMC’s policies on pricing, support, etc.).
- Eligible for inclusion in CSHI’s marketing, posting and features on website and other materials developed by CSHI.
- Assistance with fundraising activity for CSHI-designated program areas.
Application and Renewal Review Process
Membership will be reviewed and renewed annually, based on membership criteria.
Initial and renewal applications will be reviewed by the CSHI Membership Committee, and recommendations for membership or denial of membership will be provided to the CSHI Director. The CSHI Director has final authority on approval, disapproval, or termination of membership. Final approval and notification to the candidate for membership and status will be provided by the CSHI Director.
Active, approved appointments in the Cedars-Sinai Professoriate (full-time faculty or the clinical Professoriate) will suffice to fulfill the criteria for CSHI membership if all other considerations apply.
CSHI Membership Committee
The Membership Committee will consist of at least three members appointed by the CSHI Director. At least one member of the voluntary medical staff will be appointed to the committee. The CSHI Executive Director shall serve as administrative liaison for the Membership Committee and will attend committee meetings.
Citation of Membership in the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute
All members should use the affiliation “Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute” followed by other Cedars-Sinai Medical Center titles as may be applicable. Exclusive use of CSHI affiliation/CSMC titles is preferred. If titles from multiple institutions are used, it is expected that CSHI/CSMC titles will be listed first. Use of this citation and signature block reflects upon the CSHI and should be reserved for appropriate correspondence in compliance with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center policies. Misuse of the citation is grounds for termination of CSHI membership and other applicable sanctions in compliance with Cedars-Sinai Medical Center policies.
Membership shall have a renewable term of one (1) year and may be terminated by CSHI in its sole discretion for failure to meet the applicable membership requirements.
If you are interested in applying for CSHI membership or affiliation, please complete and submit the electronic application form located at http://cshspccweb.csmc.edu/him/memapp.php.