Calcification in the coronary arteries is the earliest indicator of coronary artery disease. At Cedars-Sinai Medical Center a high-speed, CT scanner allows our physicians to perform a 10-minute test to determine your calcium score. Your calcium score indicates the level of calcium deposits in your arteries. After taking into account your age, gender and cardiac risk factors, your calcium score is a strong measure of your risk for coronary artery disease.
Under the leadership of Daniel Berman, MD, FACC, director of Cardiac Imaging and Nuclear Cardiology, physicians, nurses, and technologists at the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center use this technology to obtain quick and painless high-quality pictures without an injection. Our team is highly experienced in this procedure, and our physicians have all received expert training in the interpretation of this test.
- Why choose the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center for a CT study?
- Directions and parking information
Right: A coronary calcium scan showing plaque (appears white; blue arrow)
Before Arriving for Your Exam
- You can print and fill out the Cardiac Imaging Questionnaire on our Pre-Registration Questionnaire page before arriving to speed up the registration process.
- There are no preparations for this exam.
- Please leave your jewelry and valuables at home.
- Please arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled exam to allow time for registration.
- Although we do not anticipate any delay in your scheduled appointment, we recommend that you bring a book, magazine, or music player to help pass the time while you are waiting.
- You will complete a simple, one-page cardiac questionnaire prior to your exam.
- If you are wearing an underwire bra, or if you have any clothing of jewelry that will interfere with the camera's view of your chest area, you will need to change into a gown. Otherwise, you do not need to undress for this procedure.
- Your blood pressure will be recorded.
During Your Exam
- The technologist will explain your procedure and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be asked to lie flat on your back. Your arms will be positioned above your head.
- Three monitoring wires will be placed on your chest to synchronize the scan with your heart motion.
- You will be asked to hold still and to briefly hold your breath.
- Images will be taken as you are moved through the scanner.
- The technologist will always be able to see and hear you during your procedure.
- The scan is painless and will take approximately 10 minutes.
After Your Exam
- A study of your pictures will be made by one of our world-renowned imaging cardiologists and the results sent to you and your physician, usually within 48 hours.
- The final report will contain findings from your scan. These results will determine your potential of having early or significant coronary artery disease, as well as your risk for cardiac events.
- Payment in full is due at the time of your appointment.
- Most insurance carriers do not cover this test.
- Payment can be made in cash, by check or by most major credit cards.
- Please call 310-423-8000 to inquire about our pricing.
- With a consult: You will receive a cardiac calcium scan and a same-day consultation with a cardiac imaging physician, including discussion of your risk factors, scan results, possible treatments and lifestyle changes.
- Without a consult: You will receive a cardiac calcium scan and we will send the results to your referring physician the same day.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.