Your physician has ordered a DS myelogram for you. A DS myelogram is usually performed in order to diagnose a cerebral spinal fluid leak.
- You will receive a call the evening before your appointment with instructions and check-in time.
- Please check in at: South Tower - Street Level, Information Desk (8700 Gracie Allen Drive)
- If you need to reschedule or have any questions, please call 310-423-4125.
One week before your procedure
- You will need to stop taking (blood thinners and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). Please inform your physician.
- One of our registered nurses will call you a week before your procedure to review your medications and advise which ones need to temporarily discontinue
- Notify your doctor or our office if you have a contrast allergy (iodine); you must be premedicated before the procedure.
- Verify with your doctor that you have completed all your lab work, physical & if needed an EKG and/or chest x-ray.
Before your procedure we require your physician to send these results
- Lab work: CBC with platelet count, PT/PTT & BMP done within 2 weeks of your procedure.
- EKG if older than 45; chest x-ray if cardiopulmonary disease.
- History and physical completed by your primary doctor within 30 days of your procedure.
The night before your procedure
- Do not eat or drink after midnight.
- Take any pre-medications as prescribed by your doctor.
Morning of your procedure
- Take blood pressure and/or heart medications with a sip of water unless told otherwise.
- Please do NOT take diabetic medications in the morning.
- Please bring a list of medications you are currently taking to your appointment.
- We want to make your waiting time as pleasant as possible. Consider bringing your favorite magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time.
- Please wear comfortable clothing.
- A computed tomography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance image (MRI) or both may be taken after your myelogram. Due to scheduling, these scans may not happen immediately after a myelogram. You may have to wait anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours.
- You will NOT be allowed to drive after your procedure so please arrange transportation. If you need a medical or transport van, you must also have someone accompany you.