Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Ultrasound can be used to image the aorta and iliac arteries to detect medical conditions affecting blood flow. Ultrasound technology is safe and images arteries and veins. There is no radiation or injection of chemicals for this study. At Cedars-Sinai's S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center, we have a specialized team of physicians and technologists who are experts in ultrasound technology.
Before Your Exam
- Nothing to eat or drink six hours prior to your exam. You may take any scheduled medication with a sip of water.
- Bring a magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time in case you have to wait.
- Leave valuables and jewelry at home.
- Directions and Parking Information
During Your Exam
- You will be lying on the exam table on your back with your hands at your sides. The technologist will apply a warm gel to your abdomen and pelvis and a transducer or a small microphone will be used to examine your arteries.
- You will hear the sound of moving blood during the exam. Do not be alarmed, it is harmless. The exam will take approximately 60 minutes.
Above: Image from an Aortic Iliac Ultrasound showing the aorta (dark, circular structure in the center with a diagonal dotted line across it).
After Your Exam
- Your study will be read by a physician who will send the results to your doctor. Your doctor, who ordered the study, will explain the findings to you.
- If you have problems related to your procedure or would like to request a copy of your report, please call (310) 423-8000.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (310) 423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake, and West Hollywood.