An ultrasound of the femoral artery or arteries in the groin is used to evaluate the arteries for possible injury, blood clot or blockage.
Ultrasound technology is safe and images arteries and veins. There is no radiation or injection of chemicals.
At the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center, we have a specialized team of physicians and technologists who are experts in ultrasound technology.
Before Your Exam
- There is no preparation for this exam and you may eat and drink. You may take your scheduled medications.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- Bring a magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time in case you have to wait.
- Leave valuables and jewelry at home. Please do not eat or drink six hours before your exam. You may take any scheduled medication with a sip of water.
- Directions and parking information
During Your Exam
- You will be lying on the exam table on your back with your hands at your sides. The technologist will apply a warm gel to your groin and a transducer or a small microphone will be used to examine your arteries.
- You will hear the sound of moving blood during the exam. Do not be alarmed; it is harmless. The exam will take approximately 60 minutes.
After Your Exam
- Your study will be read by a physician who will send the results to your doctor. Your doctor, who ordered the study, will explain the findings to you.
- If you have problems related to your procedure, please call 310-423-8000.
- If you would like to request a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000, option 2 or submit an online request.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.