Ultrasound can be used to image a dialysis access graft or fistula, as well as the circulation in the arm and hand.
Ultrasound technology is safe and images arteries and veins. There is no radiation or injection of chemicals. This scan is performed to determine if there is a problem with a dialysis fistula or graft.
At the S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center, we have a specialized team of physicians and technologists who are experts in ultrasound technology.
Before Your Exam
- There is no preparation for this exam and you may eat and drink. You may take your scheduled medications.
- If your doctor gave you an order, please bring it with you.
- Bring a magazine, book or music player to help you pass the time in case you have to wait.
- Leave valuables and jewelry at home.
- Directions and parking information
Above: Image from a fistula/graft evaluation ultrasound. Blood flow is in color.
During Your Exam
- You will be lying on the exam table on your back with your hands at your sides. The technologist will apply a warm gel on your arm and a transducer or a small microphone will be used to examine your arteries.
- You will hear the sound of moving blood during the exam. Do not be alarmed; it is harmless. The exam will take approximately 60 minutes.
After Your Exam
- Your study will be read by a physician who will send the results to your doctor. Your doctor, who ordered the study, will explain the findings to you.
- If you have problems related to your procedure or would like to request a copy of your report, please call 310-423-8000.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 310-423-8000.
The S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center provides a full range of advanced imaging, both radiology and cardiology, as well as interventional radiology and interventional tumor (oncology) treatments to the greater Los Angeles area, including Beverly Hills, Encino, Mid-Cities, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Silver Lake, Studio City, Toluca Lake and West Hollywood.