The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation evaluates the progress of inpatients receiving medical rehabilitation from admission through discharge. The data for patients at Cedars-Sinai are compared with that of other hospitals reporting data to the Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation in Buffalo, NY.
The quality of care measures reported by Cedars-Sinai includes:
- Patients' age and gender.
- The conditions that made rehabilitation necessary, such as strokes, brain injuries or neurological diseases.
- The average number of days the patient spent at Cedars-Sinai.
- Improvements in patients' Functional Improvement Measure score, which is a tool used to evaluate a patient's ability to independently perform 18 activities of daily living.
- The number of patients discharged into the community after rehabilitation.
- The number of patients still able to living in the community 80 to 180 days after discharge from inpatient rehabilitation
- Patient perception of quality of life.
- Survival rates after discharge.