Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
The fetal echocardiogram is an ultrasound study of the fetal heart. This study is painless and posses no known risk to either the mother or baby.
Common indications for performing fetal echocardiography are:
- Suspected heart disease on obstetrical ultrasound
- Family history of congenital heart disease
- Known or suspected chromosomal abnormality
- Other fetal malformations
- Irregular fetal heart rhythms
- Maternal medical illness (diabetes, Lupus, PKU, etc)
- Maternal exposure to drugs or infections that affect the fetal heart structure of function
At Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, fetal echocardiography is performed and interpreted by our trained staff and/or a pediatric cardiologist with special expertise in fetal cardiac imaging. The results will be shared with the mother and family during the same visit in which the test was performed.