For people between birth and age 45, trauma is the leading cause of death in the United States. Trauma affects all of us. The Cedars-Sinai Injury Prevention Program is dedicated to preventing injuries and deaths. Cedars-Sinai offers these injury prevention programs:
- Every 15 Minutes Program: The Cedars-Sinai Trauma Program, the Geri and Richard Brawerman Nursing Institute and the Women's Guild Simulation Center for Advanced Clinical Skills collaborate with Beverly Hills High School, police, fire and other city departments to present the Every 15 Minutes program every other year. This two-day interactive injury prevention program is dedicated to educating junior and senior high school students about the dangers of drinking and driving and of texting and driving. In March 2017, two mock trauma resuscitations were filmed at Cedars-Sinai using the trauma team and high school students who participated as victims of a simulated motor vehicle crash. (See the video.) Along with supporting our community, participation in events such as Every 15 Minutes helps Cedars-Sinai improve the health of the community we serve.
- Fall Coalition Los Angeles: Cedars-Sinai participates in a coalition of diverse organizations to reduce fall risk for older adults through education, advocacy, planning and community action across Los Angeles County. Coalition members include representatives from public, private and nonprofit organizations, health professionals, senior service providers, and balance and physical activity instructors.
- Fall Prevention Awareness Event: An annual event hosted at Cedars-Sinai with educational lectures, blood pressure screenings, tai chi demonstration, balance assessment, review of medications and information on resources to prevent falls.
- Hospitals Against Violence Empowering Neighborhoods: Cedars-Sinai participates in a collaborative effort to prevent injury, violence and the associated consequences. Recognizing injury as a public health problem, HAVEN is dedicated to the eradication of preventable injuries by developing and supporting programs that prevent injuries. HAVEN was created in 2010 in response to the recognition that trauma is the number one killer of America’s youth. St. Francis Medical Center Trauma Services spearheaded an effort to create a collaborative of Los Angeles hospital trauma centers dedicated to the prevention of traumatic injuries.
- Injury Prevention ad hoc Committee: The purpose of this committee is to reduce the impact of injury by participating in prevention efforts. It provides an opportunity for Cedars-Sinai staff to participate in the injury prevention processes required as a Level 1 trauma hospital. The committee enhances collaboration between nursing, medical staff and other disciplines to improve coordination of injury prevention efforts, education, and outreach within the community.
- Injury Prevention Alliance of Los Angeles County: Cedars-Sinai belongs to a group of local partners that collaborate to create a more injury free community.
- Safe Kids: An international network of organizations with a mission to prevent accidental injuries to children. Cedars-Sinai participates in a local coalition to generate awareness of accidental injuries and ways to prevent injuries. Coalition members provide child car seat inspections for families in our community. Safety devices such as helmets and car seats are provided to families in need.
- Senior Care Lecture Series
- Community health fairs