Heart disease remains the greatest health risk in women of all ages. While we have made great strides in detection and treatment of breast cancer, the number one threat in cancer survivors is heart disease. The Cardio-Oncology Program is a highly specialized clinic in the Barbra Streisand Women's Heart Center dedicated to the heart health of breast cancer survivors. We understand that the use of radiation and chemotherapy has adverse effects on a woman's future heart disease risk.
The Cardio-Oncology Program is directed by three leading physicians at Cedars-Sinai—Catherine Dang, MD, a breast cancer surgeon; C. Noel Bairey Merz, MD, women's heart cardiologst; and Janet Wei, MD, women's heart cardiologist. This unique clinic brings together experts from two of the most important areas that affect women. Our clinic specializes in identifying women who may be at increased risk of heart disease by a comprehensive history and physical, including breast cancer treatment history.
As a new patient, you will complete a questionnaire prior to your first appointment, which will help us pinpoint your individual risk factors for heart disease or other diseases common to women. Based on this initial evaluation and using state-of-the-art screening tests, an individualized prevention and treatment plan will be made. We see women who want to decrease their chances of heart disease as well as those who are looking for a second opinion for their heart health concerns.
Services available include:
- Personalized cardiac risk assessment with
- EKG, Exercise treadmill, Holter monitoring
- 2D transthoracic echo with tissue doppler, contrast if needed, bubble study; trans-esophageal echo
- Exercise and pharmacologic stress echo
- Exercise and pharmacologic SPECT and PET
- Stress cardiac MRI
- Cardiac CT angiography
- Coronary calcium score
- Carotid IMT
- Personalized, comprehensive preventive strategies for optimal heart health
- Nutrition counseling
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Treatment of resistant high blood pressure
- Treatment of complex disorders of high cholesterol level
- High risk hormone therapy counseling through the Women's Hormone and Menopause Program
- Specialized care in valvular heart disease, interventional cardiology, congestive heart failure and electrophysiology
To schedule an appointment at the Barbra Streisand Women's Heart Center, please contact us at 310-423-9680. Find more information about the Barbra Streisand Women's Heart Center and articles related to heart disease in women.