Follow Us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Basil Rapoport, MB, ChB
Co-Director, Thyroid Autoimmunity Laboratory
Awards and Activities
|Stanbury Thyroid Pathophysiology Medal; American Thyroid Association||2011|
|Royal Society of Medicine Visiting Professorship||1993|
|Ingbar Memorial Award and Lecture; American Thyroid Association||1991|
|Van Meter Award and Lecture, American Thyroid Association||1982|
|Editorial Board: Journal of Biological Chemistry||2002 - 2007|
|Associate Editor for Endocrinology and Metabolism: Journal of Clinical Investigation||1987 - 1991|
|American Society for Clinical Investigation||1980|
|American Association of Physicians||1985|
Pathogenesis of autoimmune thyroid diseases, Graves' disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The former involves hyperthyroidism caused by autoantibodies that mimic the action of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) by binding to and activating the TSH receptor. In Hashimoto's thyroiditis, extensive lymphocytic infiltration, thyrocyte destruction and fibrosis may lead to hypothyroidism. The laboratory is investigating the structure and function of the thyrotropin receptor as well as immunological and genetic factors associated with an induced animal model of Graves' disease.
Molecular cloning and expression of the genes for the thyroid peroxidase and the TSH receptor. Molecular cloning and expression of the repertoire of thyroid peroxidase autoantibody genes. Molecular and immunological studies on the pathogenesis of autoimmune thyroid diseases.
Current investigations include:
Structure and function of the TSH receptor. Graves' hyperthyroidism induced in mice by immunization with adenovirus expressing the TSH receptor A-subunit.
- Chen CR, Salazar LM, McLachlan SM, Rapoport B: The thyrotropin receptor hinge region as a surrogate ligand: identification of Loci contributing to the coupling of thyrotropin binding and receptor activation. Endocrinology, 153(10): 5058-67, 2012
- Chen CR, Salazar LM, McLachlan SM, Rapoport B: Novel information on the epitope of an inverse agonist monoclonal antibody provides insight into the structure of the TSH receptor. PLoS ONE, 7(2): e31973, 2012
- Mizutori Y, Chen CR, McLachlan SM, Rapoport B: The thyrotropin receptor hinge region is not simply a scaffold for the leucine-rich domain but contributes to ligand binding and signal transduction. Mol. Endocrinol., 22(5): 1171-82, 2008
- Chen CR, Pichurin P, Nagayama Y, Latrofa F, Rapoport B, McLachlan SM: The thyrotropin receptor autoantigen in Graves disease is the culprit as well as the victim. J. Clin. Invest., 111(12): 1897-904, 2003
- Chazenbalk GD, Pichurin P, Chen CR, Latrofa F, Johnstone AP, McLachlan SM, Rapoport B: Thyroid-stimulating autoantibodies in Graves disease preferentially recognize the free A subunit, not the thyrotropin holoreceptor. J. Clin. Invest., 110(2): 209-17, 2002
- Tanaka K, Chazenbalk GD, McLachlan SM, Rapoport B: Subunit structure of thyrotropin receptors expressed on the cell surface. J. Biol. Chem., 274(48): 33979-84, 1999