Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Michael J. Alexander, MD, FACS
Vice Chairman, Neurovascular and Education, Neurosurgery
Director, Neurovascular Center and Endovascular Neurosurgery, Neurosurgery
Awards and Activities
|Elected to the Society of Neurointerventional Surgery (NIS) Executive Committee||2007|
|"America's Top Surgeons" Consumers Research Council of America||2007|
|Editor: Pediatric Neurovascular Disease textbook||Current|
|American Association of Neurological Surgery||1998|
|North American Skull Base Society||1999|
|Society of Neurointerventional Surgery||2000|
|American College of Surgeons||2003|
Clinical and lab research focus on the treatment of Neurovascular disease by surgical and endovascular methods. Subspecialties in complex cerebral aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations, skull base tumors, and stent grafts.
Leader in the use of neurovascular stent grafts for intracranial use in trauma and cerebral aneurysms. As Director of the Neurovascular Center, leads one of the most cutting edge neurointerventional programs in the country.
Current investigations include:
Evaluation of efficacy of intracranial and extracranial stents in reducing stroke risk. Evaluation of vascular remodeling devices in the long-term occlusion of cerebral aneurysms.
- Zaidat OO, Klucznik R, Alexander MJ, Chaloupka J, Lutsep H, Barnwell S, Mawad M, Lane B, Lynn MJ, Chimowitz M, : The NIH registry on use of the Wingspan stent for symptomatic 70-99% intracranial arterial stenosis. Neurology, 70(17): 1518-24, 2008
- Shea AM, Reed SD, Curtis LH, Alexander MJ, Villani JJ, Schulman KA: Characteristics of nontraumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage in the United States in 2003. Neurosurgery, 61(6): 1131-7; discussion 1137-8, 2007
- McGirt MJ, Blessing R, Alexander MJ, Nimjee SM, Woodworth GF, Friedman AH, Graffagnino C, Laskowitz DT, Lynch JR: Risk of cerebral vasopasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage reduced by statin therapy: A multivariate analysis of an institutional experience. J. Neurosurg., 105(5): 671-4, 2006
- Alexander MJ, Tolbert ME: Targeting cerebral arteriovenous malformations for minimally invasive therapy. Neurosurgery, 59(5 Suppl 3): S178-83; discussion S3-13, 2006
- Alexander MJ, Perna J: Endoscopic saphenous vein graft harvest for extracranial-intracranial bypass procedures. Surgical neurology, 63(6): 565-8; discussion 568, 2005
- Alexander MJ, Smith TP, Tucci DL: Treatment of an iatrogenic petrous carotid artery pseudoaneurysm with a Symbiot covered stent: technical case report. Neurosurgery, 50(3): 658-62, 2002