Follow us:Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook Follow Us on Google+ Watch videos on our Youtube channel
Mouad Edderkaoui, PhD
Research Scientist, Gastroenterology
Awards and Activities
|Hirshberg Foundation Award||2012|
|NIH Career Development Award||2011|
|Associate Editor: Frontiers in Science||Current|
|American Association for Cancer Research||2008|
|American Pancreatic Association||2011|
The goal of our research is to understand the mechanism of pancreatic cancer initiation and progression, especially the interaction between cells in the tumor microenvironment, and develop treatment strategies based on the knowledge gained from animal models of the disease.
Leader in developing models of pancreatic cancer induced by major risk factors of the disease such as smoking and alcoholic chronic pancreatitis.
One of the leaders in developing novel treatment strategies for pancreatic cancer based on the combination of targeting overlapping pro-cancer pathways.
Current investigations include:
We are currently working on studying the interaction between pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia cells and cancer cells with macrophages in the tumor microenvironment and how this interaction promotes a phenotype change of these cells.
We are also in the pre-clinical stage of testing novel chemicals with anti-cancer effect.
- Edderkaoui M, Lugea A, Hui H, Eibl G, Lu QY, Moro A, Lu X, Li G, Go VL, Pandol SJ: Ellagic acid and embelin affect key cellular components of pancreatic adenocarcinoma, cancer, and stellate cells. Nutr Cancer, 65(8): 1232-44, 2013
- Park CH, Lee IS, Grippo P, Pandol SJ, Gukovskaya AS, Edderkaoui M: Akt kinase mediates the prosurvival effect of smoking compounds in pancreatic ductal cells. Pancreas, 42(4): 655-62, 2013
- Pandol SJ, Apte MV, Wilson JS, Gukovskaya AS, Edderkaoui M: The burning question: why is smoking a risk factor for pancreatic cancer?. Pancreatology, 12(4): 344-9, 2012
- Nitsche C, Edderkaoui M, Moore RM, Eibl G, Kasahara N, Treger J, Grippo PJ, Mayerle J, Lerch MM, Gukovskaya AS: The phosphatase PHLPP1 regulates Akt2, promotes pancreatic cancer cell death, and inhibits tumor formation. Gastroenterology, 142(2): 377-87.e1-5, 2011
- Edderkaoui M, Nitsche C, Zheng L, Pandol SJ, Gukovsky I, Gukovskaya AS: NADPH oxidase activation in pancreatic cancer cells is mediated through Akt-dependent up-regulation of p22phox. The Journal of biological chemistry, 286(10): 7779-87, 2010
- Edderkaoui M, Hong P, Lee JK, Pandol SJ, Gukovskaya AS: Insulin-like growth factor-I receptor mediates the prosurvival effect of fibronectin. J. Biol. Chem., 282(37): 26646-55, 2007